Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Council Announces Further Convention Centre Progress

Date: Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Subject: COUNCIL ANNOUNCES FURTHER CONVENTION CENTRE PROGRESS

The development of a world-class convention centre in one of the most exciting settings in Australasia took a major step forward today with the selection of a consortium to take the project to the next stage, Queenstown Lakes District Council Mayor, Vanessa van Uden announced today.

“Given the huge economic potential for the District from this project, I am happy to say the public process attracted some impressive proposals with one particularly outstanding bid selected to enter into negotiations with the Council,” Mayor van Uden said.

“I am delighted to announce that the Council has accepted the Evaluation Panel’s recommendation to enter into negotiations with a preferred consortium led by investors Ngai Tahu Property Limited and Morrison & Co,” she said.

Adding weight to the proposal was a wider project team which includes convention centre architects, Populous; project management firm, RCP; Queenstown-based construction company Naylor Love, and award winning New Zealand architects Fearon Hay.

Subsequent to making its submission, the consortium has now chosen SKYCITY Entertainment Group as its preferred operator.

The next step will involve giving shape to the proposal in order to undertake community consultation through the QLDC Annual Plan process (April-June).

Mayor van Uden said further work and consultation needed to happen before the project could be considered a reality but agreed the proposal had incredible promise.

“With commercially astute investors; architects who have had involvement with everything from Wembley and Eden Park to the new $1B Darling Harbour Convention Centre; and local planners and contractors; this pretty much amounts to the ‘dream team’ for Queenstown,” Mayor van Uden said.

She said the proposal would not only benefit the community and the local economy, but also support the wider national strategy of positioning New Zealand as a whole in the highly lucrative Convention Centre market.

“We have been grateful for the Government’s support to date in developing project and evaluating the proposals, and we feel sure that they will continue to see the potential in extending the jewel in New Zealand’s tourism crown to include the business tourism potential offered by Queenstown.”

Nonetheless, Mayor van Uden stressed that there were still a number of issues which had to be resolved before the Council could formally commit to the project. Central to this was the need to bring the community and, in particular the business community, into the loop.

“The community will want to understand what this means for them, and in particular issues such as site location, funding and governance structures.

Our preferred site at this stage is to use the Lakeview site, which has long been earmarked for development. The site offers world-class lake and mountain views, but is minutes from Queenstown’s heart,” she said.

From a practical perspective, it also offers cost-effective development on a level and large site that can unlock additional value for the Council as landowner, and offer further commercial development.

Mayor van Uden said that the funding arrangements would be a key factor in the negotiations, but that the preferred party had already indicated a level of funding commitment which significantly exceeded other proposals.

“While there is work to be done on this issue, we believe that we can establish an operating model for the convention centre which will be financially neutral to ratepayers. Any contribution from Council will be capped and fully disclosed. That means no surprises for ratepayers.”

The anticipated model envisages a project structure to develop the facility and a separate structure for the leasing and operating of the centre.

“It is not the intention that Council would be involved in either the ownership or operation of a Convention Centre, which is clearly not core Council business.”

Mayor van Uden said that the benefit to the community and the country needed to be seen in the short and long term, and therefore, in parallel to the negotiations, the Council would be commissioning an economic impact assessment by independent experts.

“The benefits in the first instance will be increased jobs during the construction and operation phases, and in the longer term we expect far wider potential spin-offs for tourism as a whole to the District and New Zealand. The message from business is clear - provided we do it well, the proposed convention centre is regarded as a winner."

Mayor van Uden reiterated that some critical stages, including public consultation, still lay ahead for the project.

“We are negotiating with astute business people, and none of us will proceed with the investment in a convention centre unless a viable case existed and the community has signalled support for the proposal. However, the quality of the proposal received to date gives us confidence that if the financial viability exists, then we have the best possible partners to unlock that potential,” Mayor van Uden said.

She extended her thanks to the non-Council persons on the Convention Centre Panel: Simon Moore QC, Peter Neven, Jan Tonkin and Roger Wigglesworth; and the members of the original working party: Steve Wilde, Sir Eion Edgar, Penny Clarke, Miles Wilson, Kylie Brittain/Graeme Budd.

--

Ngai Tahu Property Ltd

Click here to read Company_Profile__Ngai_Tahu_Property.pdf

Morrison & Co

Click here to read Company_Profile__HRL_Morrison__Co.pdf

Populous

Click here to read Company_Profile__Populous.pdf

RCP

Click here to read Company_Profile__RCP.pdf

Fearon Hay

Click here to read Company_Profile__Fearon_Hay.pdf

Naylor Love

Click here to read Company_Profile__Naylor_Love.pdf

Southern Planning Group

Click here to read Company_Profile__Southern_Planning_Group.pdf

WT Partnership

Click here to read Company_Profile__WT_Partnership.pdf

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Last Night’s Debate, And The Collins Accusation

Debating is a peculiar discipline in that what you say is less important than how you’re saying it. Looking poised, being articulate and staying on topic generally wins the day – and on that score, Labour leader David Cunliffe won what turned out to be a bruising encounter with Prime Minister John Key last night on TVNZ.

Cunliffe marshalled his points better, kept Key off balance and – more often than not – was in control of the general tenor of the contest. Labour supporters would have been heartened, and given some belated reassurance that maybe the change of leadership last year had been the right decision. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Collins 'Misinterprets Media Reports': "Too Compromised To Remain Justice Minister"

Bizarre claims by Judith Collins this morning that she had been cleared of inappropriate behaviour by the Privacy Commissioner demonstrates she is too compromised to remain Justice Minister, Labour MP Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Labour On Climate Change: Focus On The Now For The Future

A Labour Government will put in place a comprehensive climate change strategy focusing on both mitigation and adaptation, establish an independent Climate Commission and implement carbon budgeting, says Labour Climate Change spokesperson Moana Mackey. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On National’s Housing Assistance Plan

So, as many as 90,000 people could derive some benefit from National’s housing assistance plans for low and middle-income earners... Yet in reality, the benefits seem likely to be insignificant, and they will be skewed towards those at the top end of the income group that’s supposedly the target. More>>

ALSO:

Election Data Consortium: National’s Worst Case Scenario At Stage One?

A month out from the general election and ipredict traders are still forecasting National’s vote to slip below current polling levels and there is potential for it to fall further. More>>

ALSO:

From The Scoop Video Archive: PM Says SIS "Told Me" About OIA Release

In a press conference immediately following an controversial OIA release of notes on an SIS briefing to then Labour leader Phil Goff, Key said "at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ...". Since the release of Nicky Hager's 'Dirty Politics' Key has denied being personally informed and said references by officials to 'the PM' being told briefed referred to his office. He now says the same about his own statement. More>>

ALSO:

  • Scoop Video in the news - New questions over Key claims | NZ Herald News - Stuff.co.nz
  • Earlier - Felix Marwick: Laying out facts over SIS documents - Newstalk ZB
  • Labour - Director’s letter contradicts Key’s claims
  • ACT - The Letter - 26 days to go
  • TV3 Video - Housing issue nudges Dirty Politics aside - David Cunliffe: Key's SIS explanation 'defies belief' - SIS leak came from Key's Office - Goff - Key 'categorically denies' Slater OIA discussion - Video: Key faces more Dirty Politics questions

  • TVNZ - Winston Peters: ‘Dirty Politics' is a new low
  • The Nation - Debate Between Grant Robertson And Russel Norman
  • NZ First - “The Words Mean What I Say They Mean”
  • Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

    Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

    ALSO:

    Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

    This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

    Earlier:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news