Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Molesworth road to close next week due to fire danger

5 March 2013

Molesworth road to close next week due to fire danger

The Acheron Road through Molesworth Station is to close from Tuesday 12 March, due to extreme fire danger.

Monday, 11 March will be the last day people can make the road trip through Molesworth this open period unless sufficient rain falls to reduce the fire risk and prevent early closure of the road.

The road through the historic high country station in South Marlborough opened to the public on 28 December, and had been due to be open until Sunday, 7 April. The Department of Conservation, which manages Molesworth, will be monitoring the fire risk in the station and if it reduces the road may re-open during the current open season.

“We’ve had a steady flow of people through the station since the Acheron Road opened at the end of December,” says DOC South Marlborough Area Manager Dave Hayes.

“We’re hoping most people who planned to make the road trip this open period have already done so and there won’t be many who miss out but we do regret any disappointment the early closure of the road causes.’’

Mr Hayes says early closure of the road is necessary to protect the station’s working farm and outstanding natural and historic features from fire.

“Movement of people and vehicles through the station increases the risk of a fire starting and fire could cause serious damage to the station’s cattle farm, its rare native plants and animals and its historic buildings.

“We’re asking people making the journey between now and when it closes next week to take care to prevent fires both in the station and in surrounding areas. Conditions on Molesworth are currently among the driest recorded in recent years.”

To find out if the road is closed or open in the weeks up until the road closes for the season on 7 April, people can call the DOC South Marlborough Area Office on
(03) 572 9100 or check with visitor centres in the region.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news