Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Wakatipu Wilding Conifer Control Group new draft strategy

Media advisory
Wakatipu Wilding Conifer Control Group (WCG)

The Wakatipu Wilding Conifer Control Group has released a new draft strategy and is looking for feedback.

The new strategy, which lays out a control programme for the next 5 years through to 2017, will see the group widening its focus from wilding pine clearance to examining how and why clear areas become re-infested and how to remove or replace the seed sources causing the problem.

WCG chairperson Peter Willsman says with around 73,000 hectares of the Wakatipu infested with wilding trees, the latest strategy is vital if the problem is to be brought down to a manageable level.

“The aim of the control programme is to eradicate, contain and reduce the extent of wilding conifers in the district,” he said.

“$4.2 million dollars is required over the next four years to complete the control programme and having to re-visit sites after they’ve been cleared adds greatly to the cost. We need to widen the scope and look at the seed sources that are causing the problems.”

The WCG has adopted a five point action list for the project:
ALERT – the community to the exponential spread and cost of wilding control
COMMUNICATE – the WCG programme of control
ERADICATE – all seeding trees where possible
CONTAIN – non-removable wilding areas and planted forests
HAND BACK – control maintenance to landowners, DOC and QLDC at the end of the five year strategy period.

WCG is a volunteer organisation which sees landowners, the general public and community groups working together with organisations like the Queenstown Lakes District Council, Department of Conservation, Otago Regional Council and Land Information New Zealand to manage the spread of wildings and help retain and revive the natural landscape and bio diversity.

Queenstown Lakes District Council district forester Briana Pringle said the group was keen to hear from as many people as possible and would be receiving feedback until Wednesday 3 April.
A full copy of the WCG draft 2013-17 strategy can be viewed online at www.qldc.govt.nz.
ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news