Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Rena Exclusion Zone still in effect

Rena Exclusion Zone still in effect

The two nautical mile exclusion zone that exists for all vessels around the Rena wreck, situated on the Astrolabe Reef in the Bay of Plenty, is still in effect.

Bay of Plenty Regional Council’s Maritime Operations Manager Reuben Fraser said salvage work to reduce the wreck and debris field was progressing well, but the exclusion zone was still in place to ensure operations could continue as safely as possible and without hindrance from other vessels.

“We’ve had reports of an increased number of exclusion zone breaches, by a mixture of privately owned and commercial vessels. We urge people to remember that unless they have the express permission of the Harbour Master, then they can’t enter the restricted area and that they may be fined for breaching that.”

“In consultation with the relevant parties we are constantly reviewing the exclusion zone and will keep the public informed if we do decide to make changes. At the moment the safety risks outweigh any other issues and we need to ensure we have measures in place to try and keep an already variable environment as safe as possible.”

There have been 39 reported breaches of the exclusion zone since the beginning of the year. The tug Maui 1 is currently patrolling the exclusion zone and another Resolve Salvage and Fire vessel will also be assisting enforcement of the exclusion zone on days when higher vessel traffic is anticipated.

Automatic Identification System Technology is used by the Harbour Master to remotely monitor any ships breaching the exclusion zone.

Resolve Salvage and Fire is currently working to remove over 1,000 tonnes of debris from around the wreck, while continuing operations to reduce the bow to 1 metre below the lowest astronomical tide. It is anticipated that the bow operation work will be completed within the next two to three months, dependant on weather conditions.

A full public process and consent application will need to take place before any decisions can be made about the future of the wreck.

Ends


For the latest information on the Rena, please visit: www.renaproject.co.nz

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Mt Eden Prison: Serco Inquiry Extended

A two month delay to the Government investigation into prison fight clubs shows the extent of problems within the Serco circus, says Labour’s Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis. More>>

ALSO:

Health And Safety: Late Addition Of National Security Provisions A Concern

The New Zealand Law Society has expressed its significant concerns at the last-minute addition to the Health and Safety Reform Bill of provisions for a closed material procedure for court proceedings where national security is involved. More>>

ALSO:

Rugby And Beer: World Cup Alcohol Bill Passes

ACT MP David Seymour’s Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Extended licensing hours during Rugby World Cup) Bill completed its third reading by 99 to 21... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Flag Campaign

So far, the public has treated the government’s flag campaign with something between disinterest and disdain. Most New Zealanders have instinctively seen through the marketing hype involved. More>>

Change For 2017: Local Govt To Decide On Easter Sunday Trading

The Government is to enable local communities, through councils, to decide whether retailers can open on Easter Sunday, Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Woodhouse announced. More>>

ALSO:

(And Targets Worse Than Australia's): Foresters Abandoning Emissions Trading Scheme

The Government’s gutting of the Emissions Trading Scheme has caused foresters to leave and emissions to rise, says Labour’s Climate Change spokesperson Megan Woods. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news