Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Total fire ban for tinder-dry Wellington region

NEWS RELEASE
7 March 2013

Total fire ban for tinder-dry Wellington region

A total ban on outdoor fires – gas barbecues excepted – is to be imposed from 8am tomorrow (Friday 8 March) in the Wellington region.

It is the first time in 10 years that such a comprehensive ban has been imposed.

Like much of the rest of the country, the Wellington region is tinder-dry after weeks of hot weather and a serious lack of rainfall.

Rachael Thorp, Chair of the Greater Wellington Rural Fire Co-ordinating Committee, says fire-risk conditions have now elevated to an “extreme” point where local councils and the Department Of Conservation have had to impose the ban.

The ban covers all territory in Wellington City, Hutt City, Upper Hutt City, Porirua City and the Kapiti Coast District. It includes all land administered by the Department of Conservation.

“Our fantastic summer weather has pushed the fire danger up to a point where fires will start easily, spread fast and be very hard to stop,” says Ms Thorp.

“We are asking that people do not light fires and in addition avoid hot outdoor work such as grinding and welding, and use of motorised equipment such as mowers, chainsaws and scrub bars during the afternoon when the temperatures are at their peak.”

All fires in the open will be banned. This includes cooking fires such as hangi, umu and braai, incinerators, solid fuel barbecues, camp fires, beach fires and fireworks.

People breaching the ban will be liable on conviction to six months’ imprisonment and a $2000 fine.

All fire permits previously issued are suspended until further notice.

“People must be extra vigilant during this period. Any fires in the open, or smoke seen should be reported as soon as possible,” says Ms Thorp.

The prohibited fire season will remain in place until there is a decent period of rainfall and the fire danger passes.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

TV3 Video: Key 'Genuinely Couldn't Recall' Texts
Reaction: Greens | More

Gordon Campbell: On Government Arrogance

Right now, National is ramming anti-terrorism measures through Parliament. This legislation will grant the SIS the power to carry out 48 hour bouts of surveillance on anyone without a warrant, and will bestow on government the power to unilaterally revoke anyone’s passports and thus deny them the freedom to travel.

Ludicrously, the public has been given exactly one day to make submissions on these major infringements of their civil liberties. Despite Finlayson’s misleading signals on RNZ that these are only stopgaps until next year’s full review of our security laws, the measures in question will not, in fact, expire until 2018.

Why the insane rush? Good question. More>>

 
 

Parliament Today:

Key Texts With Whale Oil Released: PM Can’t Be Trusted Over Dirty Politics Defence - Greens

John Key’s answers to questions about dirty politics can’t be trusted, after he was forced to admit that he had misled journalists and Parliament about contact with attack blogger Cameron Slater, said the Green Party today.. More>>

ALSO:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news