Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Drought declared for Horizons Region

Drought declared for Horizons Region

Drought has been officially declared for the Horizons Region and Horizons Regional Council chairman Bruce Gordon says his council’s committed to supporting those communities affected.

“While there is still little rain forecast, this declaration goes some way towards assuring farmers that they’re not in it alone. It reiterates the message that the situation is severe and could have a lasting economic impact,” Mr Gordon says.

“We all have a part to play in preserving our water resources, whether we’re in town or on the farm, and as a council we are doing what we can to ensure people and stock have access to essential water supplies.”
Horizons’ monitoring data shows some of the region’s rivers have dropped to their lowest levels in over 30 years, with 70 per cent of those with consents to take surface water on partial or full restriction.

The Makakahi Stream near Eketahuna is at its lowest since records began in 1979 and the Whanganui River is at a 35 year low in parts.

Mr Gordon says Horizons staff have been putting extra effort into ensuring the accuracy of river gaugings and flow information so water can be used when it becomes available.

“We are keeping a very close eye on our region’s rivers and streams. When water is available for irrigation we need to be able to pass this information on to our communities as soon as possible, we also need to act quickly to implement restrictions in times of minimum flows to preserve river health,” he says.

Information about water restrictions and river flows is available via the Watermatters section of Horizons’ website www.horizons.govt.nz in close to real-time.

Horizons is also working closely with Federated Farmers, DairyNZ and other organisations involved in drought-management and its rural advice team is on hand via toll free number 0508 800 800 to assist with practical solutions and advice.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Detention, Community Work

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news