Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Organisational Review - CCO’s Back in House

To: All Media
From: Jo Blick
Date: Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Subject: Organisational Review - CCO’s Back in House


The Queenstown Lakes District Council today formally resolved to disestablish its two Council controlled organisations – Lakes Environmental Limited and Lakes Leisure Limited, QLDC Mayor Vanessa van Uden announced.

“We have accelerated this particular part of the wider Council review to provide for a more efficient and effective integration of Council activities in anticipation of the draft report which will be issued to staff on 2 April,” Mayor van Uden said.

The Mayor said that while the two CCO’s - which delivered regulatory, planning and recreational services - would have their functions transferred into QLDC, it was anticipated that the staff resources within the two CCO’s would also largely be transferred to Council.

“The first stage in this process is to ensure there is a smooth integration of Council functions and that Council services, including those provided by the CCO’s, continue with minimal disruption. Anyone currently engaged in transactions with the CCO’s can assume business as usual, “she said.

The Council had come to its decision after an extensive briefing from the Organisational Review Team lead by chair Peter Winder.

The team had considered a number of factors as to whether the functions sat better within a CCO model or as core Council functions.

These included considerations such as fragmentation of Council services; the need for public accountability to the community; the need to avoid unnecessary governance and administration costs; and whether the services performed were true commercial activities or simply core local government activities.

“The case for re-integration for both organisations was compelling. We are the only local authority to have these core functions sitting in a CCO model,” Mayor van Uden said.

The Mayor noted that the decisions were a reflection of changing circumstances, rather than any criticism of past decisions.

“In both cases, aligning the two CCO’s with Councils Planning Services and Community Service, respectively, will provide a more integrated service for the community while also delivering cost-efficiencies.”

Mayor van Uden said the two Boards had steered their organisations through numerous challenges over the past years and should be thanked for their dedication and hard work.

“This decision is in no way a reflection on the staff or the governing bodies of these two organisations. I can only reiterate that the case for re-integration could not be overlooked by a Council hell-bent on finding efficiencies and improving service,” she said.

Once the integration process had been completed, it is expected that there will be efficiencies in the medium term which will deliver operational savings.

Also, we can improve overall Council services. There will be no unnecessary overlap and a consistent approach to everything we do,” she said.

The final and perhaps most significant benefit would be giving residents a single point of service for all the functions which were the responsibility of a local authority. “You want something done, you go to one place,” Mayor van Uden said.

With the decision made to transfer all the CCO functions back to Council, the organisational review report would now make recommendations on a single organisational structure on 2 April.

“There remain numerous operational challenges ahead of Council. The review team will be recommending changes on these in its draft report on 2 April, which will then be the subject of consultation with staff,” Mayor van Uden said.

Until all staff could be briefed on the draft report Council could not be drawn on further details.

“As I have said it is clearly business as usual in the short term. The public will be dealing with the same staff at the same locations until we can finalise the changes over coming months, and they will be kept well-informed as the transition occurs,” Mayor van Uden said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news