Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


New Community Centre For South Brighton

Friday 22 March 2013

New Community Centre For South Brighton

Christchurch City Council is moving the closed QEII Park Preschool building to the site of the demolished South Brighton Community Centre where it is expected to re-open as a transitional community facility in June.

To minimise disruption to residents, the QEII Park Preschool building will be relocated to the South Brighton Community Centre site in Beatty Street in the early hours of Thursday 28 March. The International Association of the Lions Clubs, which assisted the Council to set up the transitional St Albans Community Centre last year, is funding the relocation of the preschool building to the community centre site.

The building will remain on blocks on the site while foundations are built before being lifted on to them by crane at the end of April. The building will then be repaired and refurbished.

Mayor Bob Parker says this is another example of a collaboration between the Council and the Lions that will benefit a community that needs a place to gather.

"It's wonderful that one of our hardest hit communities will get a much-loved facility back for the first time since the February earthquake. The Council recognised the importance of the community centre to South Brighton residents when it identified it as one of its priority facilities.

"Putting a transitional facility on site will ensure that we are able to give South Brighton its community centre back sooner than if we had to wait for a permanent building to be completed."

Lions District Governor Peter Mechaelis says the Lions is pleased to work with the Council to offer a transitional facility which will help the South Brighton community's recovery post-earthquake.

"We've seen how successful the transitional community centre is in St Albans and how warmly residents have welcomed it. We're looking forward to seeing another transitional facility come to fruition in South Brighton," he says.

The significantly damaged South New Brighton Community Centre closed after the February 2011 earthquake and was demolished last month. The QEII Park Preschool building has been closed since the February 2011 earthquake and the Council announced it was closing the preschool service permanently in May 2011.

South Brighton Community Centre is one of 30 projects which in September 2012 the Council approved for funding, further investigations and, where possible, repairs. Future options for the site are continuing to be explored as part of the Council's Facilities Rebuild Plan programme.

For more information about the Council's Facilities Rebuild Plan project, visit www.ccc.govt.nz/facilitiesrebuild

- ENDS-

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news