Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


AvON co-chairs urge minister to reconsider red zone policy

AvON co-chairs urge minister to reconsider residential red zone policy

Avon-Otakaro Network (AvON) is extremely disappointed at the policy forbidding interim use of residential red zone lands, and urges Minister Gerry Brownlee to reconsider.

The policy comes after last week we were told there would be an annual charge of $27 a square metre, plus GST, for using red zone land, making all temporary projects for the Avon River red zone unaffordable. Either policy means none of the short- to medium-term projects our member organisations planned can go ahead.

Under the charging regime, a voluntary community garden group would have to pay $18,630 a year, including GST, to establish a garden on a 600sq m section. AvON has been developing a plan to landscape a site on the corner of Linwood Ave and Woodham Rd, using it as a community billboard to keep Christchurch informed about residential red zone progress. Under the charging regime, it would cost us around $35,000 a year, including GST. We cannot afford it.

Neither policy affects AvON’s long-term goal of creating an ecological and recreational reserve and river park on this land, but they both negate all possible temporary use of the land. These projects would all help to rejuvenate the environment and nearby communities, aiding Christchurch in its recovery.

AvON will continue working on its long-term goal, but urges Minister Brownlee to rethink the ban on any use, and the earlier charges. Mr Brownlee, please support the individuals and groups helping Christchurch, its environment and people recover. Don’t put insurmountable hurdles in their way.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Employment Relations Bill: Govt Strains To Get Tea Break Law Through

The Government has been left with egg on its face - failing to get its much-vaunted, but hugely unpopular, meal break law passed in the first week of its new term, Labour spokesperson on Labour Issues Andrew Little says.

“National desperately wanted to pass its Employment Relations Amendment Bill this week. It hasn’t been able to do that and will now have to wait until Tuesday.

“At the same time a petition launched by Labour calling on the Government to dump changes to clause 44 - which would do away with minimum entitlements to smoko breaks for thousands of ordinary working Kiwis - has attracted 10,052 signatures in its first 24 hours. More>>

ALSO:

.

 
 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Tokenism Of New Zealand's Role Against Islamic State

Our contribution against IS will be to send SAS forces to train the Iraqis? That’s like offering trainers to General Custer just as the 7th cavalry reached the Little Big Horn. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Shell And Todd Caught Drilling Without Approval

Multi-national oil company Shell’s New Zealand arm and local energy giant Todd Energy have breached the new law governing New Zealand’s Exclusive Economic Zone, the Environmental Protection Authority says in an Oct. 10 document released by the Green Party. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Tea Breaks 'Gone By Lunch Time'

“How cynical that on the eve of Labour weekend, the National government is pushing through legislation that takes away the statutory right to tea and meal breaks along with collective bargaining protections, and makes vulnerable workers jobs even less secure." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Pharmac, Gough Whitlam And Sleater-Kinney

We’re not at the outset of these negotiations. The outset was six years ago, and negotiators were hoping to have some sort of ‘framework’ deal finished in time for the APEC meeting in a few weeks’ time. These ‘extreme’ positions are what we’ve reached near the intended end of the negotiations… More>>

ALSO:

PM Of Many Hats: Questions, No Answers On Whale Oil

Dr RUSSEL NORMAN (Co-Leader – Green) to the Prime Minister: How many times since November 2008 has he spoken with blogger Cameron Slater on the phone and how many times, if any, has he texted him?
Rt Hon JOHN KEY (Prime Minister): None in my capacity as Prime Minister. More>>

ALSO:

Aussie Investigation Dropped: Call On Minister McCully To Pursue The Case Of Balibo Five

West Papua Action is deeply concerned at the lack of any clear outcome from the Australian Federal Police inquiry into the 1975 deaths of the ‘Balibo Five’ including NZ journalist Gary Cunningham. More>>

ALSO:

'Feed The Kids' Bill: Metiria Turei To Lead Fight On Feeding Hungry Children

Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei is urging all political parties to support the Feed the Kids Bill which she inherited today from Mana leader Hone Harawira. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: State Opening Of Parliament

The House sat at 10.30am on Tuesday before MPs were summoned to hear the Speech from the Throne in the Legislative Council Chamber. More>>

ALSO:

Tertiary Education: Students Doing It Tough As Fees Rise Again

The Government is making it increasingly difficult for Kiwis to gain tertiary education as fees continue to rise and access to student support becomes even more restricted, Labour’s Tertiary Education spokesperson Chris Hipkins says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news