Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Successful trial of boating restrictions at Lake Rotoma

Successful trial of summer boating restrictions at Lake Rotoma


For immediate release: 8 April 2013

Positive feedback from a six month trial exclusion zone at Lake Rotoma could see a more permanent solution introduced in the future to manage diver safety during busy periods

Provisional boating restrictions over the summer period in Lake Rotoma have now come to an end.

Access to an area of water within 75 metres of the shore around Otangiwao Point was closed to boats between the hours of 10am to 6pm, seven days a week, from October through to the end of March. The area is a popular spot for diver training and over 1000 divers use the area a year, as it has the perfect depths and conditions.

Bay of Plenty Regional Council Harbour Master Lakes Pererika Makiha said the trial of the exclusion zone had worked well and there had been no reported incidents over the period.

“The exclusion zone was an effective short term measure to ensure the safety of the trainee divers, while also allowing access during popular fishing times. Summer is a busy time on the Rotorua lakes and mitigating any of the safety risks that we can is a top priority for us. We are now removing the exclusion zone during the quieter period and will look into possible options for the future.”

Regional Council has consulted with a number of stakeholders to get feedback on the trial exclusion zone; including dive companies, boaties, Te Arawa Lakes Trust and local community groups.

“We’ve had good feedback from the majority of those involved so far, and plan to continue to consult with the community as we move forward. We are scheduled to review the regional Navigational Safety Bylaws in the 2013/14 financial year and will be considering the potential to introduce a more permanent solution to minimise the safety risk at Otangiwao Point.”

The exclusion buoys have been removed from the zone this week. The isolated danger buoy which is situated immediately off the end of Otangiwao Point will remain in place and be used to display a dive flag which can be seen from both sides of the point when divers are present. New signs are also being put up reminding water users and divers alike about the use of dive flags.

Anyone wishing to provide feedback on the trial of the exclusion zone can contact Maritime Operations Manager Reuben Fraser on 0800 884 880 or by emailing Reuben.Fraser@boprc.govt.nz

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Mt Eden Prison: Serco Inquiry Extended

A two month delay to the Government investigation into prison fight clubs shows the extent of problems within the Serco circus, says Labour’s Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis. More>>

ALSO:

Health And Safety: Late Addition Of National Security Provisions A Concern

The New Zealand Law Society has expressed its significant concerns at the last-minute addition to the Health and Safety Reform Bill of provisions for a closed material procedure for court proceedings where national security is involved. More>>

ALSO:

Rugby And Beer: World Cup Alcohol Bill Passes

ACT MP David Seymour’s Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Extended licensing hours during Rugby World Cup) Bill completed its third reading by 99 to 21... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Flag Campaign

So far, the public has treated the government’s flag campaign with something between disinterest and disdain. Most New Zealanders have instinctively seen through the marketing hype involved. More>>

Change For 2017: Local Govt To Decide On Easter Sunday Trading

The Government is to enable local communities, through councils, to decide whether retailers can open on Easter Sunday, Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Woodhouse announced. More>>

ALSO:

(And Targets Worse Than Australia's): Foresters Abandoning Emissions Trading Scheme

The Government’s gutting of the Emissions Trading Scheme has caused foresters to leave and emissions to rise, says Labour’s Climate Change spokesperson Megan Woods. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news