Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Church buys Cranmer Court site in Christchurch

8 April 2013


Church buys Cranmer Court site in Christchurch

Majestic Church in Christchurch has bought the high profile Cranmer Court site for $10 million.

Senior minister Leo Hanssen said the church, which has around 800 members, wanted to continue its presence in the inner city. Before the earthquake, Majestic operated out of premises on the corner of Manchester/Lichfield and High Sts.

Hanssen said the unconditional purchase was funded from the church’s insurance payout for its former buildings, which are still awaiting demolition. Its Bedford Row car park has already been demolished. Under the blueprint, the entire site will now form part of the green frame.

“This is a wonderful property for us and really allows us to be part of the Christchurch community. In our previous building, we really enjoyed being in the middle of activity in the city and the Cranmer Court site means we can continue operating in this way.”

Hanssen said the 7183sq m property meant Majestic could realise its vision of a community-based facility.

“We used to be part of the High St precinct. This purchase means we can be part of the Victoria St precinct. Our vision is to build something that a lot of groups will be able to use – we don’t just want a building for church on Sunday.”

Majestic Church was established in Christchurch in 1962, last year celebrating its 50th anniversary. It was housed in Manchester St from 1978 until February 2011, and is currentlyleasing premises in Moorhouse Ave.

Detailed planning for the new property would soon begin, with Hanssen hopeful Majestic Church will open its doors in 2016.

Broker Paul Marshall, of Colliers International, said Majestic had been looking at various other proposals but was attracted by the unique inner city location and the large size of the site.

Hamish Doig, managing director of Colliers International, said there were a number of tenders for the CranmerCourt property.

“The keen competition for this highlights the demand we’re experiencing for quality inner city land. We’re quickly realising that you can’t predict who will be the eventual purchaser because so many orgnaisations have been displaced and demand is coming from a variety of sources which dictates the need for a well-thought, comprehensive marketing campaign.”

The landmark Cranmer Court site was put up for sale by the 31 owners who make up the body corporate. The historic Gothic style building was demolished last year, after vigorous attempts to save it proved unfeasible.

David Chambers, chairman of the body corporate, said that the sale would help owners to pick up their lives and start afresh.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news