Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Dunedin Total Fire Ban Being Lifted Tomorrow

Dunedin Total Fire Ban Being Lifted Tomorrow

Dunedin (Tuesday, 9 April 2013) – Dunedin’s total fire ban is being lifted tomorrow, but people should continue to be very careful when lighting fires.

A prohibited fire season (total fire ban) has been in place in Dunedin City since 13 March and will be lifted at 6.00am on Wednesday 10 April.

Dunedin City Council Principal Rural Fire Officer Graeme Still says weather station monitoring has shown the fire risk has eased, mainly due to lower temperatures at night.

Lifting the ban will return all rural areas under the jurisdiction of the DCC and the Department of Conservation to a restricted fire season, under which a fire permit is required for any fire in the open air.

Fire permits that were suspended under the ban and have not yet expired become current again and applications for fire permit renewals and new permits can once again be accepted by the DCC Customer Services Agency, phone 477 4000, or the Department of Conservation, phone 477 0677.

Under DCC bylaw provisions, the ban prohibited all outdoor burning in urban areas of Dunedin. Outdoor burning in urban areas can now resume, subject to bylaw conditions. A guideline on burning in urban areas is available from the Customer Services Agency or at www.ruralfiredunedin.govt.nz.

While the fire danger has reverted to levels below those indicating a total fire ban is required, great care should be exercised when carrying out any permitted burning activity. No fire should be left unattended and ashes should be thoroughly extinguished following burning. If wind is experienced, check recent fire sites to ensure embers have not been fanned back to life.

For any fire that may be dangerous or out of control, phone 111.

© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news