Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Wellington Rape Crisis again relies on community generosity

Media Release for immediate release
9 April 2013 for annual appeal day on 12 April 2013
Wellington Rape Crisis again relies on community generosity to stay open
Wellington Rape Crisis hits the streets once again this Friday 12 April for their Annual Street Appeal, asking the community for donations in order to keep their services running. Wellington Rape Crisis Agency Manager, Natalie Gousmett says “The appeal is more important than ever this year; unless the funding environment changes we will need to make some hard decisions in 2014. We provide extremely effective and efficient services that benefit the whole community. It would be a tragedy if that service were no longer available to people in the Wellington region.”

“We really rely on our annual appeal in order to continue providing free social work and counselling to survivors of rape and sexual abuse and their support people,” says Gousmett. “The NZ Police crime statistics released last week show us that there’s been a 1.3% increase in sexual assault offences nationally, and a 2.4% increase in Wellington[1], so we know how important it is that these services are available and accessible for every person affected by rape and sexual abuse.”

Annual Appeal Coordinator, Tabby Besley says “Last year Wellingtonians were extremely generous in our annual appeal. We already have more volunteers than we’ve ever had before and we really hope this support for our work will come through in donations.”

With the annual appeal vital to ensuring their sexual violence support services continue, Wellington Rape Crisis urges you to support them this year by donating on Friday 12 April or running your own fundraiser, such as a collection at your workplace or school.

Ends

Note to editors
An estimated 1 in 4 women and 1 in 20 men in New Zealand will be victims of a sexual assault at some point in their lives.[2]
In 2010-2011 WRC had 543 client contacts and in 2011-2012 WRC had 995 client contacts. In the same periods ongoing clients increased from 140 to 179.[3]


________________________________________

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Andrew Little’s Debut, Mockingjay, And Drunk Texting

John Key’s credibility has taken a hammering this week – at least among the 50% of the electorate who have always had doubts about him on that score.

The other substantial story of the week has been about Andrew Little’s debut as Labour leader, which has received top marks, especially among the 25% of the electorate still voting Labour. According to some reports, the Labour caucus has been ‘in seventh heaven’ about Little’s success this week in taking it to the government in the House. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Government Arrogance

Right now, National is ramming anti-terrorism measures through Parliament. This legislation will grant the SIS the power to carry out 48 hour bouts of surveillance on anyone without a warrant, and will bestow on government the power to unilaterally revoke anyone’s passports and thus deny them the freedom to travel. More>>

ALSO:

Glenn Inquiry: Report Offers Solutions To Family Violence

The People’s Blueprint unveiled today by Sir Owen Glenn’s independent inquiry into child abuse and domestic violence outlines a new, more cohesive and effective system for reducing New Zealand’s alarmingly high family violence rates. More>>

ALSO:

Environment Commissioner: Changing Climate And Rising Seas - Understanding The Science

A rising sea will be with us for a long time to come – one way or another we will have to adapt. But how high and how fast the water rises will be influenced by the speed at which the world – including New Zealand – reduces greenhouse gas emissions over the coming decades. More>>

ALSO:

Key Texts With Whale Oil Released: PM Can’t Be Trusted Over Dirty Politics Defence - Greens

John Key’s answers to questions about dirty politics can’t be trusted, after he was forced to admit that he had misled journalists and Parliament about contact with attack blogger Cameron Slater, said the Green Party today.. More>>

ALSO:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news