Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Ferrymead Bridge replacement progressing well


Wednesday 9 April 2013

Ferrymead Bridge replacement progressing well


The Ferrymead Bridge replacement project is on schedule with the demolition of the existing bridge expected to be complete before the end of April 2013.

With the ‘nibbler’ cranes completing the final demolition of the existing bridge, the next part of the work is the pile removal. This is a delicate operation, as the removal process takes place under water.

Once the older piles are removed, preparation work can start to allow for heavy machinery to move into place and begin the piling for the base of the new Ferrymead Bridge. This is called the staging process whereby land ‘fingers’ are constructed in the water, for the heavy machinery to work from during the piling construction.

Unit manager of Transport and Greenspace John Mackie says, “It’s great news that the work on the Ferrymead Bridge replacement is on schedule and progressing as planned. We know how important this transport artery is to all the residents and businesses. With 30,000 vehicles using this route daily, it is reassuring for all to know that this project is on target.”

The work on demolishing the existing bridge began in February 2013, and the temporary bridges were installed in late January 2013. Completion of the new bridge is likely to be by mid 2015, but timeframes may have to be adapted if unexpected ground conditions for piling are encountered.
The piling process for the new bridge will take about 15 months and start as soon as the existing bridge is demolished.

What’s coming up in the next few months:

• Pile removal – expected to be completed by the end of April 2013.
• Bridge foundation removal and backfilling – planned for completion at end of April 2013.
• Staging installation – planned to start at end of April 2013 and is dependant on the completion of the pile removal activity above. Expecting to have this complete by the middle of May 2013.
• Pile gate construction – planned to begin as soon as the staging ‘fingers’ have been constructed, which would be at the end of May 2013.
• Pile construction – the first pier pile work should start by the middle of June 2013.

Please note that the activities listed above are dependant on the completion of the demolition works and subject to weather.

For more information on the Ferrymead Bridge project, please visit the Christchurch City Council website. There is also a list of frequently asked questions available on the website to assist with any queries you may have.

To view please visit http://www.ccc.govt.nz/ferrymead


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news