SCIRT traffic update, school terms starts Monday 6 May
SCIRT traffic update week ending 3 May 2013, heads-up New Brighton road closure 13 May
The new school term starts on Monday, 6 May. Some significant changes to city streets will affect the morning and evening rush periods – in particular on Montreal Street and initially also on Bealey Avenue.
SCIRT reminds everyone to take care as the daylight shortens and visibility on the roads is reduced. To help plan your trips, use www.transportforchristchurch.govt.nz
Salisbury St one lane Madras to
Barbadoes from Monday 6 May
From Monday, a new “lift station” for wastewater is being installed underground in the footpath on Salisbury Street on the city’s north-east side.
The location is half way between Barbadoes and Madras Streets on the south side of the road. Traffic travelling across Madras Street will be channelled to one lane on the other side.
Parking will also be reduced while the work is happening up until mid July.
Read the web story for details. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/article/salisbury-st-one-lane-madras-to-barbadoes-from-monday-6-may
Rolleston Ave one lane
SCIRT work crews this week started the next stage of installing Rolleston Avenue’s new wastewater pipes. Delivery team Fletcher started at the Worcester St intersection then will head north towards Gloucester St. Work along this block will run until mid June.
Residents and businesses on Worcester St have access through a traffic lane coming from the northern/ Gloucester Street side. There is no right hand turn otherwise off Rolleston Avenue onto Worcester Boulevard, which is one-way east only. Read the works notice for map and timeline. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/2915
Montreal Street just one lane north of the river, alternative routes north include Madras, Manchester, Fitzgerald Avenue. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/article/montreal-street-major-lane-reduction-for-three-months-other-central-city-work-will-affect-al
Moorhouse Avenue westwards at Colombo St overbridge two lanes again. Refer to stage four map in this works notice: http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/2796
Bealey Avenue at Colombo St eastbound back to two lanes Tuesday or Wednesday May 7 or 8. See works notice for overview of this project on Colombo Street: http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/2883
Beyond the central city/ four avenues:
Valley overpasses, Tunnel Road to Lyttelton – bridge
repairs from Monday 6 May
SCIRT delivery team Fletcher is currently working underneath the Horotane Valley Road overpasses on State Highway 74 (the Lyttelton Tunnel road) repairing the bridge piers. There are two bridges running parallel, taking traffic to and from the Lyttelton tunnel.
From Monday, 6 May work will start on the first
bridge. Two way traffic flow will be maintained by switching
flows onto one bridge at a time. This work will run through
to December. Read the background story
or for more details and maps read the works notice http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/2932
Bay Road causeway and detour route
The road to Sumner is now detoured around McCormacks Bay Road while the causeway seawall, culverts and bridges are rebuilt by SCIRT delivery team Fulton Hogan. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/article/sumner-causeway-work-starts-end-of-month-mccormacks-bay-road-detour-route-for-six-months
Wainoni - Bickerton Street/ Wainoni Road shops easier access, shorter detour
SCIRT work on the wastewater pipes at the corner of Bickerton Street and Wainoni Road in Wainoni is shifting east to the Helanca Avenue/ Bickerton Street corner on Wednesday, 8 May. This will free up access to the shops on the Bickerton Street/ Wainoni Road corner.
The new work site will close the Helanca Avenue/Bickerton Street intersection to traffic.
To allow access to Helanca Avenue, the Shortland Street/
Tahuna Street intersection is reopening through to Bickerton
Street and Wainoni Road. This will be a shorter detour
south for residents and Pak 'n Save customers when the
wastewater work progresses north along Wainoni Road towards
Stanmore Road, Richmond – one way north from
Swanns Road continues
Seaview Road, New Brighton, traffic closure from Monday 13 May
New Brighton’s main road from the Pages Road roundabout Seaview Road will be closed to traffic from Monday 13 May to late June.
SCIRT delivery team Fulton Hogan is installing a new pressure main wastewater pipe and lateral pipes to households and businesses in this area.
Traffic and effects on residents/ road users:
• Hawke Street will be one-way east only from the left turn on Owles Terrace roundabout to as far as Keyes Road. Westbound traffic on Hawke Street will have to detour via Keyes Road, Pratt Street and New Brighton Road onto the Owles Terrace roundabout.
• Owles Terrace will have two way traffic with the work site next to the properties between Seaview Road and Beresford Street.
• Seaview Road will be fully closed to traffic with residents and businesses encouraged to use parking on Beresford and nearby streets. Pedestrians and cyclists will have access to properties.
• Seaview Road from east of Hardy Street will be one way west only, towards Hardy Street.
• Hardy Street will also be one-way south only from the Seaview Road intersection to Beresford Street.
• The Beresford Street intersection with Owles Terrace will be closed for a week probably from 20 May while the pipe is welded and pulled in place.
• Owles Terrace properties between Seaview Road and Beresford Street will also have a week of no car access to their homes, also likely to be from 20 May. This is due to the pipe being laid over the road in front of the houses and driveways.
• The three detour routes are along Owles Terrace, Collingwood, Hardy and Beresford Streets south of the roundabout and along Hawke Street, Keyes Road, Pratt Street and New Brighton Road north of the roundabout.
Maps and detours on the work notice http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/2923
or read the background story: