Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Get Behind The Fence

Get Behind The Fence


Fundraising for the Brook Waimarama Sanctuary pest-proof fence got a big boost with the official launch of the public phase of the campaign at Bowater Honda on Friday night.

Invited guests heard Hon Dr Nick Smith, MP and Minister of Conservation, give a strong endorsement to the Sanctuary.

"The Brook Waimarama Sanctuary Trust has made admirable progress over the past decade in raising around two-thirds of the $4.7 million it needs to build the 14-kilometre fence around the 700-hectare site,” he said. “The project is an exciting example of independent community-led conservation, which has an increasingly important role to play in preserving our natural heritage.”

Dr Smith himself sponsored one of the first fence posts at the event and said he hoped this round of fundraising would help get the trust over the line and the fence built.

"The environmental benefit of this sanctuary is that it will enable native birds to again be seen in Nelson gardens that have been absent for decades. It will also provide an economic benefit for our tourism industry by giving visitors an opportunity to see our own special birds in their natural setting rather than in a zoo. This sanctuary reinforces Nelson’s proud heritage in environmental leadership. I will be doing all I can as both Conservation Minister and Nelson’s MP to ensure it achieves its ambitious goals."

Hudson Dodd, BWS Trust General Manager, said the catchy “Save our Babies—Get Behind the Fence” campaign was already generating interest, with families, businesses and community groups among those sponsoring fence posts.

“In the first three weeks of the campaign we’d already seen 100 fence posts sponsored, generating $30k in funding toward the fence. People are excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel for fund raising. It goes to show that Nelsonians recognise the great benefits this project will bring to the region,” said Mr Dodd. The BWS Trust is close to the $3m mark, with the goal of raising $4.7m for fence project, which is expected to get underway late this year.”

The “Get Behind the Fence!” campaign has opened offices in the Bowater Motor Group’s Honda dealership, corner of Rutherford and Hardy Streets. Chris Bowater, CEO of Bowater Honda, said the Bowater Motor Group is delighted to host the BWS Trust.

“We think the Brook Sanctuary project is an excellent community initiative, and are glad to be able support their efforts to return nature to the Nelson region. Bowaters is getting behind the fence, and we hope the rest of the community does, too.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news