Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Safety Improvement Work Starts Sunday On Sh29 At Tauriko

NZ Transport Agency Tauranga Regional Office

8 May 2013

Safety Improvement Work Starts Sunday On Sh29 At Tauriko

Work to improve the safety of SH29 at Tauriko will start Sunday (12 May 2013) evening on SH29 at Tauriko, says the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA). 

Over the next few days road workers will remove the passing lane from Redwoods Lane to Gargan Road, install a right turn bay at the Gargan Road intersection and apply skid resistance surface to improve safety at this SH29 location, which has been the site of several serious crashes.

Brett Gliddon, NZTA’s Bay of Plenty state highways manager says the passing lane that starts from past Redwood Lane to Gargan Road will be removed to reduce the risk of further serious crashes at this location, and in particular those involving vehicles turning right into Gargan Road.

Mr Gliddon said the changes were part of the NZTA’s ‘safe system’ approach to reducing deaths and serious injuries on our roads.

“We’re aiming to reduce deaths and serious injuries by taking action in four key areas - safer roads and roadsides, safe vehicles, safe road use and safe speeds.

“The NZTA is making significant investments in safety improvements on the region’s roads, we are working with police to promote safe driving through advertising and enforcement and we are encouraging motorists to buy the safest vehicles they can afford.”

By removing the passing lane Mr Gliddon says the shoulder can be widened to allow more room for cyclists and more room between opposing traffic.   A temporary speed restriction will be in place during the works which may cause minor delays; this work is expected to be completed by mid next week. 
Drivers can now subscribe to On The Move which is a free service providing information about road closures, road works and driving conditions on their frequently used routes - to sign up, go to www.onthemove.govt.nz.  

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news