Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Ruapehu Transfer Stations Safe

MEDIA RELEASE
Ruapehu District Council

Date: Thursday 23 May 2013

RUAPEHU TRANSFER STATIONS SAFE

None of Ruapehu’s rural transfer stations will be closed following council deliberations on submissions to the draft Exceptions Annual Plan (EAP) 2013-14.

The recent public consultation on the draft EAP 2013-14 had put forward various possibilities for lowering rates if ratepayers were willing to accept lower standards of service which included closure of the Ongarue and Owhango Transfer Stations and removal of the remainder of the Discretionary Grants Fund.

Ruapehu District Council (RDC) Chief Executive, Peter Till, said that public submissions on both these possibilities were unanimous against closure of the Transfer Stations but mixed on removing the remainder of the Discretionary Grants Fund.

“These proposals were only ever possibilities dependent on public support,” he said.
“The purpose of putting forward these as proposals was to highlight that for rates to be lower than the proposed 3.4% average increase services would need to be cut.”

“As a small rural council Ruapehu has always stuck predominately to the delivery of core services so there is no room to make significant savings without cutting back on basic services.”

“Dropping the remainder of the Discretionary Grants Fund will only save $27,000 per annum while dropping of the Ongarue and Owhango Transfer Stations would have saved $104,000.”

Mr Till said that council is constantly evaluating costs and looking for efficiencies in how we deliver services to save money.

Although in this case submitters have clearly said they want to retain all Ruapehu Transfer Stations going forward it is probable that ratepayers will need to consider some reduction in services as a trade-off in order to keep rates down.


PETER TILL
CHIEF EXECUTIVE

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Flyover Over: NZTA Not Appealing Flyover Decision

The NZ Transport Agency has decided not to appeal the High Court’s Basin Bridge decision, and says the High Court’s findings provide valuable clarity to help guide the development of future infrastructure projects throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

Developing Crown Land: Government, Auckland Iwi Reach Agreement

The government has reached agreement with Ngati Whatua and other Auckland iwi over developing 500 hectares of excess land in Auckland for private housing which had been under High Court challenge. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Maurice Williamson

Maurice Williamson seems to have been granted an annual licence to embarrass the National Party, and its that time of year again. Also as per usual, Williamson’s recent exercise in sexism and homophobia has passed by with barely a murmur from his leader. More>>

ALSO:

Green Climate Plan: Shaw Launches 40% Emission Cut Target

Green Party co-leader James Shaw has announced an emissions target initiative for 40% reduction by 2030. He said agriculture has to long been used as a reason for inaction, a roadblock to action... He proposed a tax of 8 cents per kilo of milk. More>>

ALSO:


Images & Video: Four Alternative Flags For Referendum

Flag Consideration Panel chair, Professor John Burrows, said the Panel’s decision had been guided first and foremost by the results of its engagement programme across a range of communities where thousands of Kiwis shared what was special about New Zealand, as well as the Panel’s own selection criteria. More>>

ALSO:

Transport Report: LGNZ Calls For Proactive Approach To Mobilise Regions

LGNZ has today released Mobilising the Regions, its major transport study, which highlights the economic and social impact of strategic transport decisions nationally and in the regions, and the direct link between regional development, national prosperity, social well-being and cohesiveness. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: New Rules Bring Double-Deckers To Our Cities

New rules that allow buses, including double-deckers, to carry more people will ramp up the public transport offering in our cities, Transport Minister Simon Bridges and Associate Transport Minister Craig Foss say. More>>

ALSO:

Cycling:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news