Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Assault Renews Call for Public Offenders Register

For immediate release:

Sexual assault of elderly woman renews call for public register of dangerous offenders

The Sensible Sentencing Trust is renewing their call for the Government to introduce a publicly available register of violent and sexual offenders.

The call comes after an elderly Waikato woman was sexually assaulted in her home by a mentally ill neighbour, it has since transpired the woman was unaware she was living close to the residential care centre where the alleged offender was a resident.

Trust Spokesman, Garth McVicar, said this horrific case exposed yet again the folly of allowing potentially dangerous people to be placed amongst an unsuspecting and vulnerable community.

“I can not imagine the terror this elderly woman would have experienced during and after this attack, but what I find utterly reprehensible is that these horrific attacks are entirely preventable and it is only through the inaction of our legislators that they are continuing to happen.”

“A publicly available register of violent and sexual offenders would not only allow the public to know who was living in their community but also permit the police to warn anyone they considered maybe at risk.”

“At present innocent members of the public are being exposed to a phenomenal risk by what I term as nutty liberal lunacy hiding under the guise of human rights.”

Mcvicar said that the police have also been tied in knots by this nonsense.

“The police want to do the right thing but are prevented from warning the public of potential dangerous offenders simply because they will be accused of breaching their human rights.”

“How many elderly woman or innocent young children must be assaulted or murdered before the Government decides to take action?”

“We once again urge the Government to consider whose human rights are paramount.”

The full story can be found here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/8715951/No-place-left-to-feel-safe

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news