Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


'Best snow conditions in years: The Remarkables

Media Release from The Remarkables ski area
19 June 2012

Best snow conditions in years’ as The Remarkables celebrates opening

The Remarkables ski area in Queenstown kick starts its 2013 season this Saturday (June 22) with some of the best snow conditions seen in years and the entire mountain open for business.

Natural snowfalls throughout May and June have dropped a 60cm base on the lower mountain with 90cm at the top, a great result according to The Remarkables Ski Area Manager Ross Lawrence.

“We’re very, very happy with the snow coverage we have here and we can’t wait to share this with our guests on Saturday,” he said.

“We haven’t seen opening conditions like this since 2010, and that turned out to be an amazing season. In fact I would go as far as saying this is going to be an epic start and season here at The Remarkables.

“It will be fantastic to get everything up and running -- as well as Alta and Sugar Bowl access we’re stoked to tell everyone that Shadow Basin chairlift will also be firing on opening day, not only accessing runs in that basin but enabling the keenest skiers and boarders to head on over to Homeward Run with a shuttle service back to the base area.”

Consistent snowfalls have enabled staff to work on five features for the beginner’s terrain park on Castaway trail in Sugar Bowl, while in the TRIC Big Park the intermediate line will boast eight to ten features.

“With the snow we’ve had already and up to half a metre more snow in the immediate forecast, I am confident that it’s going to be as good off-piste as it is on-piste,” said Mr Lawrence.

“People are just going to be yahooing all over the mountain.”
It will be all systems go at the base building with everything open from the Snow shop to guest services, rental, the crèche, Snowsports School and the Remarkables Café. Right alongside the learners area, the Tube Park will be up and running too in its new location.

The enticing smell of bacon butties will waft from the Ice Bar at the top of Alta lift which will also be operating from day one.

Queenstown’s award-winning Amisfield Winery will greet the earliest risers with obligatory celebratory bubbles as they head onto the slopes.

For the second year running, four youngsters from nearby Remarkables Primary School will be helping out those who are up the mountain for first tracks – from Year 2 student Holly McRae to Tama Dix (Year 3), Alicia Webster (Year 4) and Reuben Thompson (Year 8).

They’ll be on hand to greet those queuing, ride with Spike and Shred on the ‘First Chair’, work with guest services and lifties and ‘assist’ mascots Spike and Shred around the base facilities.

The students won an RPS competition to help out on the day.

“We have a great relationship with Remarkables Primary School and really enjoy having their students up here, from the five-year-olds to the older ones who are fast becoming stalwarts of the mountain,” said Mr Lawrence.

Kids 10 and under receive a free day pass at The Remarkables any day of the season. For more information go to www.nzski.com

 

Ross Lawrence knee-deep in snow at The Remarkables beginners area - Photo credit: Mo Rush

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news