Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


CRL funding step in right direction, but ...

CRL funding step in right direction, but delays will cost Aucklanders


Thursday 26 June 2013


The Government’s support for the City Rail Link is a step in the right direction but delays will mean relief from traffic congestion and carbon pollution will be put off till 2025, costing Aucklanders, says youth climate organisation Generation Zero.

Dr Sudhvir Singh, spokesperson for Generation Zero “In light of overwhelming support from the general public, it is fantastic that there is now political consensus on the need for the City Rail Link to relieve traffic congestion, reduce carbon pollution and help move Auckland beyond fossil fuels"

Minister of Transport, Gerry Brownlee has confirmed today that the Government will now part fund the City Rail Link for construction to start in 2020, with the prospect of opening in 2025, with a full announcement to be made on Friday.

Dr Singh: “Whilst the turn around in the Government’s position is welcome, their plan to delay opening till 2025, is a delay Auckland can not afford,”

The issue is now around timing as Auckland Council have been moving ahead with land allocation with the prospect of the City Rail Link opening in 2020.

Dr Singh “The government is telling Aucklanders that spending billions of dollars on uneconomic motorways, such as the $2 billion Puhoi to Wellsford ‘holiday highway’ is more urgent than the City Rail Link, a project that will unlock the entire region's transport system for everyday users by allowing five minute train frequencies and the potential for new rail lines to the Airport, Mt Roskill and the North Shore.”

“Now that the Government has seen the light on the essential need for the City Rail Link, we hope it’s just a matter of time before they recognise its urgency too” said Dr Singh

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news