Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Council responds to IANZ decision


Council responds to IANZ decision


The Christchurch City Council confirms it will work with the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) to regain its accreditation as a Building Consent Authority.

This follows advice to the Council this morning after being advised by International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ) this morning that its accreditation as a Building Consent Authority will be withdrawn on 8 July 2013.

General Manager Regulation and Democracy Services Peter Mitchell says, "The Council has been informed by MBIE today it can still lawfully receive, process and grant building consents. The Council will also continue other aspects of the building consent process, including inspections and processing code compliance certificates.

"I want to reassure our customers that the Council is continuing to provide the full range of building consent services. We have a very constructive relationship with MBIE who have assured us they will continue to work with the Council to streamline processes and to regain accreditation."

Mr Mitchell says the Council expects to receive a report from MBIE today and will work with them on implementing the findings.

"I am confident that in working with MBIE and IANZ the Christchurch City Council will regain its accreditation."

"Staff have moved mountains recently and we will maintain the momentum we have achieved over the past few weeks. In this time staff have never compromised on the quality of checking consent applications. Protecting people and property through the building consents process is a crucial part of the rebuild."

In the last 14 days the Council issued 632 consents with a combined value of $160 million. Of the original 500 backlog consents which Mayor Parker committed to clearing by the end of the month, 25 remain and these are expected to be cleared today.

- ends -

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Mt Eden Prison: Serco Inquiry Extended

A two month delay to the Government investigation into prison fight clubs shows the extent of problems within the Serco circus, says Labour’s Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis. More>>

ALSO:

Health And Safety: Late Addition Of National Security Provisions A Concern

The New Zealand Law Society has expressed its significant concerns at the last-minute addition to the Health and Safety Reform Bill of provisions for a closed material procedure for court proceedings where national security is involved. More>>

ALSO:

Rugby And Beer: World Cup Alcohol Bill Passes

ACT MP David Seymour’s Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Extended licensing hours during Rugby World Cup) Bill completed its third reading by 99 to 21... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Flag Campaign

So far, the public has treated the government’s flag campaign with something between disinterest and disdain. Most New Zealanders have instinctively seen through the marketing hype involved. More>>

Change For 2017: Local Govt To Decide On Easter Sunday Trading

The Government is to enable local communities, through councils, to decide whether retailers can open on Easter Sunday, Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Woodhouse announced. More>>

ALSO:

(And Targets Worse Than Australia's): Foresters Abandoning Emissions Trading Scheme

The Government’s gutting of the Emissions Trading Scheme has caused foresters to leave and emissions to rise, says Labour’s Climate Change spokesperson Megan Woods. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news