Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Stabling facility opens for Auckland’s trains


5 July 2013

Maintenance and stabling facility opens for Auckland’s new trains

The Mayor describes the maintenance and stabling facility for Auckland’s new trains, officially opened today, as a major step towards a modern, efficient integrated transport system Auckland can be proud of.

Earlier this week, Auckland Transport handed over parts of the $100 million facility at Wiri to train operator Transdev (formerly Veolia) and train manufacturer Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF) to commence the fit-out in preparation for the arrival of the first train in September.

“This opening heralds a time of great change in Auckland. The depot will be home to our new fleet of electric trains which will start arriving soon and go into service next year, “ says Len Brown.

“Along with the City Rail Link, integrated ticketing on trains, ferries and buses and Auckland Transport’s New Network, there is a bright future for Aucklanders sick of gridlock and poor public transport options.”

The 4.4 hectare site is on part of the old Winstones Quarry in Wiri and had to be filled with tonnes of rock before work could start on construction.

The purpose-built facility comprises a 7,650 square metre maintenance building, train wash, six kilometres of rail track sidings, stabling for 28 three-car trains and a cleaning platform so the inside of the trains can be vacuumed and washed. There is also a locally operated points system so all train movements can be controlled on-site.

The depot has permanent in-ground lifting jacks, a wheel lathe, overhead gantries and lifting cranes. It has a state of the art protection system to ensure the personal safety of people working close to the overhead wires.

Outside, most of the rail sidings have been laid on more than 8,000 cubic metres of specially quarried ballast excavated from Pokeno. A large number of overhead gantries have been erected to run wiring for electricity to the trains and there is a driver footbridge between the depot and the Main Trunk Line allowing drivers to switch trains without having to bring them into the depot.

Auckland Transport chairman Dr Lester Levy says, “The new trains will result in a major improvement to the level of passenger service which will encourage more people to switch from cars to public transport.

“This state of the art maintenance and stabling facility is ready to service and house those trains. This facility has been designed with safety and efficiency of the maintenance workers top of mind. This site was nothing more than a hole in the ground two years ago and it is a credit to all those involved to see it finished on time and within budget.”

Spanish company Construcciones y Auxillair Ferrocarriles (CAF) is building a fleet of 57 three-car high-powered train sets to carry passengers on the Auckland suburban rail network. These new state of the art trains have been designed to meet the specific needs of Aucklanders and feature the latest in terms of safety, comfort and reliability.

“As the trains travel more swiftly than the current fleet they will be able to shave approximately 10 minutes off the travel from Papakura to Britomart allowing the service to run more often and get passengers to their destinations more quickly”, says Mr Brown.

The first train is due in Auckland in early September and will be taken to Wiri for certification and driving training before going into commercial operation next year.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, am responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

Update: After a seven hour caucus meeting David Cunliffe has announced Chris Hipkins and Carmel Sepuloni as new party whips and said the Labour council will hold an independent review into the election result. He did not comment on any leadership vote.

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news