Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Wellingtonians Urged to Remain Calm and Confident

Wellingtonian’s Urged to Remain Calm and Confident

Although Wellingtonians had been through a terrifying time, they can take heart that they are living in a city of strong buildings that have just withstood a massive earthquake, Mayoral candidate John Morrison says.

“The last really major quake was in 1942 when chimneys came down, facades fell off buildings and the town hall clock tower was eventually taken down because of the damage,” Mr Morrison said. “Manners Street was closed for several months.

“The lessons learned 70 years ago have stood us in good stead. We had the massive rebuilding programme in the 1970s and 1980s that got rid of dozens of earthquake prone structures.

“I was encouraged to learn recently that some of the leading engineers during that rebuild period applied Californian earthquake standards and designed structures that were higher than the required code in the 1970s.

“But this has been a wakeup call to get more thorough and robust about what we retain and protect. One hundred percent NBS (New Building Standard) buildings tend to perform extremely well – getting a higher proportion of those is consistent with renewal and growth.

“Council must also act more effectively against known hazards – incentivising strengthening while penalising continued weakness.

“We are still open for business and that means we can recover quickly. While today is very stressful for everybody, we can feel more confident knowing that our buildings have stood up extremely well with relatively little damage compared to what might have been the case.

Mr Morrison said economic growth in the capital is the catalyst to replacing and improving Wellington’s CBD building stock and it was important for business in the Capital to remain confident.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

RNZ Live Updates: SkyCity Fire Fighting Continues

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff says buildings and roads will still be closed today because of the NZ International Convention Centre fire but things will start to get back to normal.

The fire at the centre across from SkyCity in Auckland has been burning since about 1pm on Tuesday and firefighters are allowing the roof to be destroyed by flames so they can get better access to the building to fight the fire. Flames are still visible this morning and smoke is billowing out. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On Simon Bridges And Political Correctness

Having failed all year at being a credible alternative Prime Minister, National leader Simon Bridges has lowered his aspirational target this week to something more within his range. More>>

Bullying: Police Commissioner Announces Review

Police Commissioner Mike Bush has today announced an independent review of the systems and processes NZ Police has in place to address complaints of bullying. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Post-Cab: Now We Are Two

Questions covered Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters' comments on the potential closure of Mediaworks' television channels, the Auckland light rail planning process, the select committee report on the Zero Carbon Bill and its methane target range... More>>

Court Issues New Guildines: Revamp Of Meth Sentencing Welcomed

The court accepted submissions by both the New Zealand Bar Association and the New Zealand Law Society that rather than solely focusing on the quantity of meth involved, there should be greater focus on the role of the offender. More>>

ALSO:

'Armed Response Teams': Armed Police "Will Cause American-Style Shootings"

The Police Commissioner's announcement that squadcars of officers with automatic rifles will patrol New Zealand's streets is dangerous and unnecessary, according to the criminal justice community organisation People Against Prisons Aotearoa. The ... More>>

ALSO:

Control Orders: Amnesty Says Don't Rush Terrorism Bill

"The problem is, we often see the word “terrorism” being applied broadly by oppressive regimes to detain innocent people who're simply rallying for a better life." More>>

ALSO:

Expert Reaction: $17 million To Fight Online Extremist Content

The Department of Internal Affairs will double its work investigating and preventing violent extremism online. Funding will also help bolster the Chief Censor's work to make fast decisions about harmful content. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels