Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


$100K Needed to Save the Day - Award-winning charity StarJam

MEDIA RELEASE
5 August 2013

$100K Needed to Save the Day

Award-winning Kiwi charity launches international crowd funding campaign

Award-winning charity StarJam is looking to the web to raise urgently needed funds to help it out of a financial squeeze. The Kiwi charity that empowers young people with disabilities is launching a campaign to raise $100,000 through international crowd funding website Indiegogo.

The two-minute video featuring Simon Dallow and 20 of StarJam’s children will spearhead the campaign which will launch on Monday 5th August and run for a month.

Celebrating its 10th birthday last year, StarJam has changed the lives of thousands of young people with disabilities over this time, with 300 disabled children and young people (known as Jammers) currently involved in weekly performance workshops in singing, dancing, guitar and drumming across four centres, Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch.

However funding cuts and increasing demand for the charity dollar have left StarJam a $100,000 short this year and in need of additional funds.

StarJam founder and CEO Julie Bartlett, recipient of countless awards including NEXT’s Woman of the Year for 2012, says we believe people will want to help out if they understand that we are living hand to mouth.  We need to provide certainty for our children and their families.

“People often think StarJam has good financial reserves - the sparkly hats (from the $2 shop), the celebrity involvement, the impressive stage productions, all create this misconception. The truth is we rely entirely on the generosity of funding bodies and people who love what we do.

“We currently have places for 300 young people involved in our weekly programmes, at a cost of about $2,000 each per year. This goes towards things like venue hire, reimbursing volunteer expenses, training for tutors and volunteers and purchasing musical instruments.  And the programmes’ waiting lists get growing.

“If we reach $100,000, we can keep operating at our current levels. Without it we cannot guarantee our programmes will continue into 2014.

Over the years StarJam has enlisted the involvement of international and local celebrities including Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise, Coldplay, Rachel Hunter and Sir Peter Jackson. 

Julie says 15 celebrities including Sir Graham Henry, Simon Dallow and Shane Cortese, Greg Murphy, Kate Hawkesby and Michael Galvin have lent their support to the campaign, offering ‘perks’ for larger donations.

A $25 donation will pay for Jammer’s starter pack with the donor being acknowledged on StarJam’s website and Facebook.   A $2,000 donation will fund one lucky Jammer through a whole year, with the donor receiving a personalized thank you video from one of the celebrities supporting the campaign.  While a $20,000 donation helps 10 lucky Jammers for a year and gets the donor ten personalized thank you videos from the campaign’s celebrity list.

Julie says the charity is in the process of setting up new fundraising programmes which will in time yield financial stability.  “Our families can’t imagine what life would be like without StarJam in their children’s lives. It means so much to them when their children find friends, often for the first time, and a new-found confidence from being in the performance programmes. They definitely don’t want that to stop.”  

For more info:
«     The Save StarJam Campaign info is here on Indiegogo (frequently updated)
«     Here is a two minute showreel
«     A StarJam flashmob viewed by 70,000
«     Queen of Hearts is a song written and sung by 11 Jammers
«     Here is a 6 min showreel about a road tour in USA with clips of Tom Cruise, Danny DeVito and Julie Andrews.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Out Now: Werewolf Issue 41

Nanny National - Dotcomming The TPP - Feeling The Love For X Factor
First, They Came For Your Lightbulbs - Classics : Ernest and Celestine - Abortion, Against the Tide
Film: Gods and Monsters - Come Back, SR-71 Blackbird - Satire: Ars Tonga, Vita Brevis
The Complicatist : Bobby Bland R.I.P., Laura Marling


New Court Orders, Screening, Guardianship Changes...: Government Ignoring Poverty, Again

It remains to be seen if announcements today will better protect children, but the National Government is forgoing an opportunity to really help kids by ignoring the elephant in the room, which is poverty, Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei says.

"All the experts have told the Government that very low income is associated with higher rates of child maltreatment and neglect -- something which was totally ignored in the Government's Children's Action Plan and the announcements today," Mrs Turei said. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Party Time: Dunne Welcomes UnitedFuture’s Re-Registration

United Future leader Peter Dunne has welcomed the Electoral Commission’s decision to re-register United Future as a political party. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: “Irrevocable Damage” From Two Flyovers

The last stop for Generation Zero’s nationwide speaking tour on smart responses to climate change became a venue, in Wellington last night, for an attack on the Transport Agency’s plans for flyovers at the Basin Reserve. More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Ex-CBA Boss Ralph Norris To Lead Board Inquiry

Former Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief Ralph Norris is to lead Fonterra Cooperative Group’s board inquiry into the botulism contamination scare, helped by former High Court judge Judith Potter and Chapman Tripp lawyer Jack Hodder QC. More>>

ALSO:

Customs: "Crackdown" On Psychoactives

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson says a crackdown on the importation of psychoactive substances shows targeted efforts by Customs are paying off. More>>

ALSO:

National Party Annual Conference: Key Speech - Expanded Kiwisaver Access For Home Buyers

"Under our plan, we have protected the most vulnerable New Zealanders through difficult times, set a path back to surplus, and built a solid platform for growth." More>>

ALSO:

National Party Conference: Major Changes To RMA 'Undermine Environmental Safeguards'

Forest & Bird is describing the proposed changes to the core of the Resource Management Act as confirmation that the government's strategy is to create short term economic growth at the expense of the environment... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Smelter Deal, Fonterra And Iran

Well, it does seem that about $30 million is the kind of pocket money that the government has readily at hand to throw at foreign corporates – at Warners over The Hobbit, and now at Rio Tinto over the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. One would love to know how the size of these handouts – yes, this is corporate welfarism – are calculated. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news