Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Wellingtonians: the elections clock is ticking

7 August 2013

Wellingtonians: the elections clock is ticking

The race to the Mayoralty and other city council positions in the local elections is always hotly contested, but there’s also a race against the clock for candidates to get their nominations in on time, before next Friday (16 August).

Prospective candidates have just over a week to lodge their nominations – nominations close at noon on 16 August.

Wellington City Electoral Officer Charlie Inggs says his team is expecting a flurry of last-minute nominations.

“In the past people have been able to provide us with some details over a period of time, but this year candidates have to give us all their nomination information at the same time. That means it takes a bit longer to get everything collated and we’re seeing slighter later nominations.”

“However, we want to get the message out – don’t leave it until the last minute,” says Charlie.

Nominations received so far (in alphabetical order) are:

Sridhar Ekambaram (Onslow-Western Ward)

Christine Grace (Makara/Ohariu Community Board)

Graeme Hansen (Tawa Community Board)

Sue Kedgley (Capital & Coast District Health Board)

Nick Leggett (Capital & Coast District Health Board)

Justin Lester (Northern Ward)

Margaret Lucas (Tawa Community Board)

Graham McCready (Eastern Ward)

Mark Peck (Lambton Ward)

Hayley Robinson (Onslow-Western Ward)

Nicola Young (Mayor and Lambton Ward)

At the equivalent point in 2010, 13 nominations had been received for the various Wellington City Council positions out of an eventual total of 61, and one nomination had been received for the Capital & Coast District Health Board out of an eventual total of 21.

The Wellington City Electoral Officer handles nominations for Mayor, City Councillor, Tawa Community Board, Makara-Ohariu Community Board and on an agency basis for Capital & Coast District Health Board.

Friday 16 August is also the final day for people to enrol, if they want to ensure they’ll receive their voting papers by post. If you’re not enrolled by 5pm that day, you’ll have to contact the Electoral Officer to obtain special voting papers when voting begins.

The Electoral Commission has advised that around 5000 names were removed prior to the compilation of the preliminary roll, because people have moved house and not updated their address details. If you want to check you’re on the preliminary roll of electors, visit your local library or the Council offices on Wakefield Street before 5pm next Friday.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Out Now: Werewolf Issue 41

Nanny National - Dotcomming The TPP - Feeling The Love For X Factor
First, They Came For Your Lightbulbs - Classics : Ernest and Celestine - Abortion, Against the Tide
Film: Gods and Monsters - Come Back, SR-71 Blackbird - Satire: Ars Tonga, Vita Brevis
The Complicatist : Bobby Bland R.I.P., Laura Marling


New Court Orders, Screening, Guardianship Changes...: Government Ignoring Poverty, Again

It remains to be seen if announcements today will better protect children, but the National Government is forgoing an opportunity to really help kids by ignoring the elephant in the room, which is poverty, Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei says.

"All the experts have told the Government that very low income is associated with higher rates of child maltreatment and neglect -- something which was totally ignored in the Government's Children's Action Plan and the announcements today," Mrs Turei said. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Party Time: Dunne Welcomes UnitedFuture’s Re-Registration

United Future leader Peter Dunne has welcomed the Electoral Commission’s decision to re-register United Future as a political party. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: “Irrevocable Damage” From Two Flyovers

The last stop for Generation Zero’s nationwide speaking tour on smart responses to climate change became a venue, in Wellington last night, for an attack on the Transport Agency’s plans for flyovers at the Basin Reserve. More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Ex-CBA Boss Ralph Norris To Lead Board Inquiry

Former Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief Ralph Norris is to lead Fonterra Cooperative Group’s board inquiry into the botulism contamination scare, helped by former High Court judge Judith Potter and Chapman Tripp lawyer Jack Hodder QC. More>>

ALSO:

Customs: "Crackdown" On Psychoactives

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson says a crackdown on the importation of psychoactive substances shows targeted efforts by Customs are paying off. More>>

ALSO:

National Party Annual Conference: Key Speech - Expanded Kiwisaver Access For Home Buyers

"Under our plan, we have protected the most vulnerable New Zealanders through difficult times, set a path back to surplus, and built a solid platform for growth." More>>

ALSO:

National Party Conference: Major Changes To RMA 'Undermine Environmental Safeguards'

Forest & Bird is describing the proposed changes to the core of the Resource Management Act as confirmation that the government's strategy is to create short term economic growth at the expense of the environment... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Smelter Deal, Fonterra And Iran

Well, it does seem that about $30 million is the kind of pocket money that the government has readily at hand to throw at foreign corporates – at Warners over The Hobbit, and now at Rio Tinto over the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. One would love to know how the size of these handouts – yes, this is corporate welfarism – are calculated. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news