Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


District Plan hearings to be held after elections

News Release 

Thursday 8 August 2013

District Plan hearings to be held after elections

ROTORUA 08.08.13:  Rotorua District Council (RDC) has decided to delay the start of its programme of hearings on the proposed District Plan until after this year’s local authority elections.

The decision means a previous decision to appoint current elected members as commissioners for the hearings will not proceed and commissioners will now be appointed by the new council after the elections.

RDC Economic & Regulatory Services group manager, Mark Rawson, said the decision to re-debate the issue at last week’s council meeting took into account a signal from some elected members that they did not wish to continue as commissioners if they were not re-elected on 12 October. He said that raised the question of whether continuity of hearings across the current and next council terms could effectively be achieved.

“The council also believes that there is strategic value in allowing more time to develop a better understanding of landuse and key infrastructure development projects by working with stakeholders and the community. The New Zealand Transport Agency and other stakeholders have welcomed the opportunity to work with RDC to develop an Eastern Suburbs landuse plan.

“Potentially this plan could include some changes in land-use not previously envisaged and possibly urban design recommendations, including governance models for delivering on those proposals.

“It’s likely that such a package would have implications on future land-use patterns, zonings and infrastructure development across the eastern side of the lake. This in turn would impact on finalising the proposed district plan as well as the development of a sub-regional spatial plan, another major planning project on the horizon,” said Mr Rawson. 

“However, in order for these various land-use and infrastructure opportunities to be explored, we need more time for community engagement.

“Resolution of these issues before district plan hearings take place would mean the hearing and deliberation process would be more streamlined and better informed.

Mr Rawson said the council was confident that they could commence hearings in early 2014 and still achieve the statutory timeframe requiring finalisation of the proposed district plan by mid 2014.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Out Now: Werewolf Issue 41

Nanny National - Dotcomming The TPP - Feeling The Love For X Factor
First, They Came For Your Lightbulbs - Classics : Ernest and Celestine - Abortion, Against the Tide
Film: Gods and Monsters - Come Back, SR-71 Blackbird - Satire: Ars Tonga, Vita Brevis
The Complicatist : Bobby Bland R.I.P., Laura Marling


New Court Orders, Screening, Guardianship Changes...: Government Ignoring Poverty, Again

It remains to be seen if announcements today will better protect children, but the National Government is forgoing an opportunity to really help kids by ignoring the elephant in the room, which is poverty, Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei says.

"All the experts have told the Government that very low income is associated with higher rates of child maltreatment and neglect -- something which was totally ignored in the Government's Children's Action Plan and the announcements today," Mrs Turei said. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Party Time: Dunne Welcomes UnitedFuture’s Re-Registration

United Future leader Peter Dunne has welcomed the Electoral Commission’s decision to re-register United Future as a political party. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: “Irrevocable Damage” From Two Flyovers

The last stop for Generation Zero’s nationwide speaking tour on smart responses to climate change became a venue, in Wellington last night, for an attack on the Transport Agency’s plans for flyovers at the Basin Reserve. More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Ex-CBA Boss Ralph Norris To Lead Board Inquiry

Former Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief Ralph Norris is to lead Fonterra Cooperative Group’s board inquiry into the botulism contamination scare, helped by former High Court judge Judith Potter and Chapman Tripp lawyer Jack Hodder QC. More>>

ALSO:

Customs: "Crackdown" On Psychoactives

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson says a crackdown on the importation of psychoactive substances shows targeted efforts by Customs are paying off. More>>

ALSO:

National Party Annual Conference: Key Speech - Expanded Kiwisaver Access For Home Buyers

"Under our plan, we have protected the most vulnerable New Zealanders through difficult times, set a path back to surplus, and built a solid platform for growth." More>>

ALSO:

National Party Conference: Major Changes To RMA 'Undermine Environmental Safeguards'

Forest & Bird is describing the proposed changes to the core of the Resource Management Act as confirmation that the government's strategy is to create short term economic growth at the expense of the environment... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Smelter Deal, Fonterra And Iran

Well, it does seem that about $30 million is the kind of pocket money that the government has readily at hand to throw at foreign corporates – at Warners over The Hobbit, and now at Rio Tinto over the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. One would love to know how the size of these handouts – yes, this is corporate welfarism – are calculated. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news