Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Sydenham Pod Park Opens

Wednesday, 14 August, 2013

Sydenham Pod Park Opens

A vacant lot in the heart of Sydenham has been transformed into a stylish new park thanks to the collaborative efforts of the Christchurch City Council, consultancy Beca, Sydenham Quarter Inc, and local businesses.

Mayor Bob Parker will officially open The Sydenham Pod Park on the corner of Colombo and Wordsworth Streets at 1 pm on Friday 16 August.

Beca staff project managed construction, as well as helping prepare and plant the park which is based on Beca’s supreme award-winning garden in the 2012 Ellerslie Flower Show.

The design was modified to capture the history and character of Sydenham with flax and wetland plants reflecting the previously swampy nature of the area. Pallet boardwalks represent the grid layout of streets that formed as the city grew.

The curved pipe-inspired shelter, steel columns and saw-tooth-shaped sculptures fit with Sydenham’s industrial mix of factories, warehouses and railway workshops.

A petanque court complements the putting green on a neighbouring Gap Filler site, providing entertainment for visitors as well as somewhere pleasant to sit and eat lunch.

Beca moved into Sydenham premises after being forced to quit a quake-damaged high rise in the CBD. The company’s technical director project management, Greg Rozen, said although Beca would eventually shift back to the central city, it wanted to contribute to its temporary host community.

“When we move on we want to leave something positive behind, rather than just an empty office block. In the meantime there are 280 people in our building, so they’re going to benefit from the park and the rest of Sydenham will too.”

At least a dozen local businesses donated labour and materials for the project. Sydenham Quarter Inc chairman Anthony Barker said the joint venture had engendered a real sense of community spirit. His organisation was also very grateful to the landowners, the Bell Family Estate, for allowing the use of their property.

“Without their agreement we’d have nothing. We hope this initiative will inspire other landowners along Colombo Street to rebuild or allow other temporary developments on empty sections.”

Mayor Bob Parker said the Council’s contribution of materials, plants and consenting costs came from its Suburban Centres Transitional Budget which has been a vital resource in the post-quake environment.

“Projects like the Sydenham Pod Park are a creative way of breathing new life into suburban commercial areas hard hit in the earthquakes. It’s been a very successful collaboration involving Council, local businesses and land owners which delivers another positive step forward for an increasingly vibrant community.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Out Now: Werewolf Issue 41

Nanny National - Dotcomming The TPP - Feeling The Love For X Factor
First, They Came For Your Lightbulbs - Classics : Ernest and Celestine - Abortion, Against the Tide
Film: Gods and Monsters - Come Back, SR-71 Blackbird - Satire: Ars Tonga, Vita Brevis
The Complicatist : Bobby Bland R.I.P., Laura Marling


Gordon Campbell:
On Putting Profit Potential Ahead Of Human Potential

Does New Zealand – despite our claims to egalitarianism and everyone being equal before the law – treat the people engaged in tax evasion more leniently than the people who commit welfare fraud? Yes, we do.

Earlier research by Victoria University associate professor Lisa Marriott has shown that while both offences are of the same kind (financial crimes) and have the same victim (the government, and society) the two get treated very differently from a prosecution point of view...

This week, Marriott released the next stage of her research findings, which are entirely consistent with what went before. Apparently, the government agencies involved also treat tax offenders more leniently than they treat welfare offenders. More>>

.

 
 

Parliament Today:

Details Of 35 Clients: ACC Notebook Stolen In House Burglary

During a burglary at the house of an ACC case manager in Christchurch on 3 August, a notebook containing client information was among the items stolen. More>>

Russian Olympics: Government Must Stand Up For Athletes’ Rights

The Government must condemn Russia’s new anti-gay legislation and move to ensure New Zealand athletes and supporters will be safe during next year’s Winter Olympics in Sochi, Labour’s Sport and Recreation spokesperson Trevor Mallard says. More>>

ALSO:

Bad Resolution: 9 Years Of Errors On Christchurch Rates

The Council’s Acting Chief Executive Jane Parfitt says the issue came to light when the Department of Internal Affairs noted that the due dates and penalties were not included in the current year's rates resolution. More>>

ALSO:

New Court Orders, Screening, Guardianship Changes...: Government Ignoring Poverty, Again

It remains to be seen if announcements today will better protect children, but the National Government is forgoing an opportunity to really help kids by ignoring the elephant in the room, which is poverty, Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei says. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf: Nanny National

Elect a centre-left government in a modern Western democracy and chances are, this won’t usher in a socialist nirvana. Similarly, centre-right parties, once elected, seem happy to preside over the extensive growth of Big Government and the entrenchment of corporate power... More>>

ALSO:

Party Time: Dunne Welcomes UnitedFuture’s Re-Registration

United Future leader Peter Dunne has welcomed the Electoral Commission’s decision to re-register United Future as a political party. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: “Irrevocable Damage” From Two Flyovers

The last stop for Generation Zero’s nationwide speaking tour on smart responses to climate change became a venue, in Wellington last night, for an attack on the Transport Agency’s plans for flyovers at the Basin Reserve. More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Ex-CBA Boss Ralph Norris To Lead Board Inquiry

Former Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief Ralph Norris is to lead Fonterra Cooperative Group’s board inquiry into the botulism contamination scare, helped by former High Court judge Judith Potter and Chapman Tripp lawyer Jack Hodder QC. More>>

ALSO:

Customs: "Crackdown" On Psychoactives

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson says a crackdown on the importation of psychoactive substances shows targeted efforts by Customs are paying off. More>>

ALSO:

National Party Annual Conference: Key Speech - Expanded Kiwisaver Access For Home Buyers

"Under our plan, we have protected the most vulnerable New Zealanders through difficult times, set a path back to surplus, and built a solid platform for growth." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news