Traffic update for next week starting 30 September 2013
27 September, 2013
Traffic update for next week starting 30 September, 2013, some information for this weekend/ from today
drivers – change to roundabout at Frosts Road/ QEII
Travis Road drivers will need to make sure of their routes city-bound through North New Brighton and Burwood from Monday, 30 September. SCIRT work by Downer in the Frosts Road/ Travis Road roundabout, combined with the closure of Frosts Road for three months while it is reconstructed, will reduce options at the intersection.
Pedestrians and cyclists need to watch for signs for safe crossings on Anzac Drive and Travis Road. New Brighton Road may be a better option for cyclists.
• Westbound/ city-bound traffic on Travis Road will not be able to travel west through the Frosts Road intersection, but will have to go left/ south onto Anzac Drive and give way to drivers coming from the Burwood Road side of the intersection. Some drivers may take New Brighton Road as an eastbound route.
• Travelling north on Anzac Drive, drivers will only be able to turn left onto Travis Road and go west towards Burwood or Marshland Road. For most port traffic on State Highway 76 from Lyttelton, this will be the main route north and west.
• Drivers travelling east on Travis Road towards the beach will be able to go straight ahead at Anzac Drive/ Frosts Road. They will also have the right of way to turn south onto Anzac Drive.
At the same time as Frosts Road is closed for its rebuild by Downer, SCIRT’s Fulton Hogan crew will close the northern-end Frosts/Beach/Mairehau Road intersection in order to connect the new wastewater pump station on Ascot Reserve. Parklands drivers will be diverted onto local streets.
Please take care at these intersections, slow down on detour routes, and give way as required.
For details and maps of detour
routes, see the works notices:
• Downer work including the Travis Road roundabout and suggested detours. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/3438
• Fulton Hogan work at the north end, Parklands intersection and Parklands detour. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/3631
Other traffic news
South Brighton’s Bridge St bridge: reopening to two-way traffic from today. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/article/south-brighton%E2%80%99s-bridge-open-day-leads-into-two-way-traffic-today
Heathcote/ Opawa bridge third closure this weekend from 6 pm Friday to 6 am Monday: See earlier story and works notice. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/article/heathcote-river-opawaho-highway-bridge-final-repairs-involve-weekend-closures This is the third weekend closure and the work on the abutments is going well.
Shirley night works around the Palms shopping centre: SCIRT night works started this week in Marshland, Shirley and New Brighton Roads 7 pm to 7 am, installing the new vacuum wastewater system. This work will take just over two months to do. Because these new pipes criss-cross the road, this work can only be done at night when traffic volumes are low. Each crossing will take up to four nights to complete. Road users will see extra lights around these work sites. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/3629
Centaurus Road, Huntsbury: SCIRT’s City Care team is working on Centaurus Road from 30 September until mid November – from the Wilsons Road/Centaurus Road roundabout towards Ramahana Road. On-street parking will be affected. Two–way traffic in place but manual traffic system at times. This is a busy area for cyclists, school children and pedestrians, near a café, so care is needed by road users. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/3611
Antigua St, Sydenham, is again open for two way traffic: The Antigua/Brougham St intersection has been one way only for some time. Drivers will once again be able to turn onto Antigua St from Brougham St.
Manchester St central city, Salisbury to Peterborough St: This block will be closed to through traffic for two weeks for wastewater trenching. Residents’ access to the street will be maintained.
Salisbury St, central city, between Durham St North and Colombo St: Salisbury St, a one-way eastbound street, will be down to one lane in this block until mid December for manhole work and a deep trench (three metres) for a wastewater trunk main pipe. http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/work/activity/3623
Central city routes map updated today: http://www.transportforchristchurch.govt.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Available-Routes-Map-7.pdf
For earlier traffic update with more information across the city: http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz/article/scirt-traffic-update-for-week-starting-23-september-2013