Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Possible sightings reported in Sockburn enquiry

Possible sightings reported in Sockburn enquiry

Friday, 27 September 2013 - 3:58pm

Canterbury

Christchurch Police investigating an alleged sexual assault in Sockburn this week say they have received sightings of men similar to the description of the suspect, but are still seeking more information.

Detective Senior Sergeant Darryl Sweeney says the majority of sightings have been in the south-west suburbs.

"The response from the public has been extremely good," he says. "Several possible sightings have been reported to police staff conducting door-to-door enquiries in the area around Sockburn and Upper Riccarton. People have also been calling in with useful information.

"We have a lot of information that we will continue to work through - but we still need to hear from anyone who has seen a man similar to the description we have released, or any other unusual or suspicious activity."

Detective Senior Sergeant Sweeney says police are also interested the movements of any vehicles in the area that may have seemed suspicious or out of place.

The investigation, named Operation Middlepark, is continuing today with police staff again focusing on door-to-door area enquiries in the south-west suburbs.

Investigators are also visiting commercial premises and making enquiries with bus operators and taxi companies.

CCTV footage is being collected from commercial premises, and police are asking business owners in the south-west to contact police if they have CCTV footage available.

Enquiries will continue through the weekend.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Christchurch police on (03) 3637400. Information can also be given anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news