Opportunity for East Coasters to talk about health review
Another opportunity for East Coast residents to talk about health review
East Coast residents will have four more opportunities this month to say what they think about a review of health services in their area.
Ngati Porou Hauora chief executive, Rose Kahaki, said there had been a reasonable level of attendance and interest during the first consultation round.
“All the communities asked us to come back because they wanted more time to consider the Review of Health Services on the East Coast report. The three Boards that collectively commissioned this review – Ngati Porou Hauora, Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou and Tairawhiti District Health – are keen to get as much feedback as possible from the communities, and so we have booked a second round of hui.”
The second round of community consultation hui begins at Tokomaru Bay on 21 October, with meetings booked at Te Araroa, Ruatoria and Uawa in the three days following.
Ms Kahaki said community discussion at the first round of hui focussed on:
· Understanding the factors that had driven the review and the need for decisions that ensured future sustainability.
· Acknowledgment and appreciation of the collective relationship of the three organisations. Those who attended the hui want to be sure there is long term commitment from all three.
· Emphasising the importance of the health clinic at a community level.
· A wide range of views about the future health clinic facility, in particular what kinds of services it might deliver and its location – Te Puia, Ruatoria or another location?
· Requests from residents that they continue to be involved by way of community hui, once the Boards have made their decisions and agreed a three to five year plan to deliver health services on the East Coast.
“It’s important that we gather as many views as possible, especially from those who are living on the Coast. No decisions have been made yet so now is the time for people to have their say. Come along to a hui and tell us what you think. That way your thoughts and ideas will be written down, and considered when the Boards are making their decisions about future health services on the East Coast. If you can’t get to a hui, then please email or call us to tell us your views.”
A three-Board workshop is planned for 5 November. At this meeting the Boards will consider all submissions and feedback from the communities before deciding next steps.
Schedule of Round 2 consultation hui
· 21/10/13 at 6.00 pm Tokomaru Bay- Senior Citizens
· 22/10/13 at 6.00 pm Te Araroa - Hinerupe Marae
· 23/10/13 at 6.00 pm Ruatoria – Ruatoria Clinic
· 24/10/13 at 6.00 pm Uawa – Fire Station
The report and all consultation
documentation, including the presentation slides to be
discussed at the hui, along with an Questions & Answers
sheet and a schedule of meeting dates are available on three
websites: the TDH website at www.tdh.org.nz, the Ngati Porou
Hauora website at www.nph.org.nz, and the Te Runanganui o
Ngati Porou website at