Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Youths arrested after daytime burglaries

Youths arrested after daytime burglaries

Thursday, 10 October 2013 - 4:32pm

Canterbury

Christchurch Police are issuing a warning about bogus fundraising callers after making several arrests of young offenders believed to be involved in a series of related burglaries across the city.

In the past two weeks Police have arrested five male youths aged between 13 and 17, along with two men aged 21 and 30, in an operation targeting daytime dwelling break-ins.

In the latest arrests, Police were called to an address in Phillipstown around 5.30pm yesterday [Wednesday 9 October] after a female resident returned home and found two youths in the driveway of her property.

Police were called and two males, aged 17 and 15, were located and arrested shortly afterwards in the grounds of Linwood College.

The 17-year old appeared in the District Court today while the 15-year old appeared in the Youth Court, both facing one burglary charge. Both were remanded on bail.

A 14-year old male was also arrested yesterday as a result of fingerprint identification, and appeared in the Youth Court today on 14 charges of burglary. He has been remanded on bail.

On Tuesday, police executed a search warrant on an address in Hampshire Street and located a substantial volume of stolen property. A 30-year old Christchurch man was arrested on charges of receiving stolen property and cannabis-related charges. He appeared in Court on Tuesday and was remanded on bail.

A 21-year old Christchurch man was arrested last week and has been remanded in custody after appearing on seven burglary charges.

In related enquiries over the past two weeks Police have also arrested a 13-year old, who has been referred to Police youth services, and a 16-year old male.

Detective Senior Sergeant Corrie Parnell says to date Police have identified at least 21 burglaries that the alleged offenders have been involved in the past month.

"It's likely that the total number of offences is much greater - and we are continuing our enquiries to link these and other offenders to burglaries," he says.

"The break-ins have occurred right across the city, including Northwood, Papanui, Phillipstown, Bishopdale and other suburbs.

"This appears to be a well organised burglary operation. We believe it has been continuing for some weeks, and it's likely there are older individuals who are organising the group."

Detective Senior Sergeant Parnell says the offenders have a distinctive method of operating - generally posing as young people selling raffle tickets for fundraising, and knocking on doors to see whether occupants are at home.

"They are particularly active between about 9am and 3pm when many householders are not at home.

"It's timely to remind people to make sure their dwellings are well secured whenever they are not present."

He says investigators are continuing a range of inquiries to identify other offenders.

"We have recovered a quantity of stolen property already but will also be making every effort to locate further property stolen in these burglaries - and to return it to the rightful owners wherever possible," he says.

The group has been particularly targeting televisions, laptops and other electronic items, as well as jewellery.

"Our message to residents across the city is to be alert for signs of suspicious activity - including unknown people making door-to-door calls.

"If you have any doubts about people calling at your home, whether they're contractors, salespeople or kids selling raffle tickets - always ask for identification.

"Don't hesitate to call Police immediately on 111 if you see suspicious people or vehicles - and keep an eye on your neighbourhood and nearby properties as well."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On What John Banks And Nick Smith Have In Common

The defence that John Banks has been offering to the charges of electoral fraud – that he didn’t read the document he signed, and therefore lacked the necessary criminal intent – is a fairly standard example of political business as usual.

At a time when political power is being centralised downtown in the Executive, responsibility is being re-located to the suburbs. The Beehive seeks to operate as a blame free, shame free environment. At all times, plausible deniability is to be maintained.

Being able to put distance between the Minister and the actions/outcomes/political fallout of policy is not simply the last desperate resort of scoundrels, but the first resort of the foot soldiers in ministerial service... More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court. More>>

ALSO:

Dam Leak: Labour Lodges Privileges Complaint Against Nick Smith

Labour has lodged a privileges complaint against Conservation Minister Nick Smith for deliberately misleading Parliament over a Department of Conservation draft submission on the proposed Ruataniwha dam. More>>

ALSO:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news