Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Councillor Eagle re-elected on “people first” platform

MEDIA RELEASE

Wellington Labour Local Government Committee

Saturday 12 October 2013
 
Councillor Eagle re-elected on “people first” platform
 
Wellington City Councillor Paul Eagle says his campaign to put people first has resonated with residents in the Southern Ward who have voted him back for a second term.
 
“The people of South Wellington have spoken and I’m privileged to be chosen as their representative for another term on Council,” Mr Eagle said.
 
The second-term Councillor won with 3,609 preliminary votes in the first iteration, almost 60 per cent more than the required quota of 2,275.
 
He said the victory was the result of hard work by up to 50 volunteers who believed in the values of basic human decency and of putting people first.
 
“We ran a successful grassroots campaign, just as we did three years ago. In fact, we started campaigning the day after I was elected in 2010.
 
“We never took anything for granted, and worked hard to reach out to 10,000 voters through door knocking, letter drops, engagements with clubs and interest groups, media interviews and, of course, lots of hoardings across South Wellington.”
 
At a celebration event at Wellington’s Wharewaka, Mr Eagle thanked all of the volunteers who supported his campaign.
 
“I extend my heartfelt thanks to the doorknockers, the deliverers, the cooks, the advisers – my friends, and my family,” he said.
 
“You’ve worked hard to campaign on our agreed values and principles to put people first.”
 
Mr Eagle said he was especially grateful for the support of long-standing Labour and Rongotai MP Hon Annette King who generously shared her political experience and guidance over the past three years.
 
The Councillor said he would work to deliver on his commitments of keeping public ownership of community assets, improving public transport and car parking in the city, retention of jobs and a living wage for those most in need.
 
ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Criminalising The Partners Of Welfare Fraudsters (And The US Meltdown)

Talking of days that will live in infamy, today is when the measures that criminalise the partners and spouses of those who commit welfare fraud will come into effect. More>>

ALSO:

Compulsory Savings Mooted: Labour Backs Universal KiwiSaver

Yet again National has been shown up as completely left behind on the sustainability of our retirement debate, as the Financial Service Council’s call for a universal KiwiSaver scheme shows, says Labour Finance spokesperson David Parker... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news