Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Toitū Otago Settlers Museum Builds International Connections

Toitū Otago Settlers Museum Builds International Connections

Dunedin, 15 October, 2013 – Planned exhibitions marking the 100th anniversary of World War I and Dunedin’s special Scottish heritage are already producing valuable international connections for Toitū Otago Settlers Museum.

Acting Director Jennifer Evans says both exhibitions are significant ones for Toitū and the WW100 exhibition is part of a huge international collaboration to commemorate the Great War.

“Otago battalions played a huge part ion New Zealand’s war effort and paid a hefty price. We want to make sure that their contribution is marked in a suitable way so that today’s generation can gain some comprehension of what they put themselves through for King and country.”

Preliminary work is already well underway for Toitū’s Centennial exhibition next year and links have been established with the Passchendaele and Messines Museums in Belgium.

“These sorts of links are particularly exciting. We have already begun information sharing with these museums and there is the potential offer of loan objects for our exhibitions.”

Toitū is also developing a relationship with an international conglomerate of museums working on an information project known as the Gallipoli centenary education project 2015.

This exciting educational project will bring together cultural heritage organisations (museums, historic houses, archive services, arts centres) and schools in Britain, Turkey, Australia and New Zealand.

Curator Seán Brosnahan, who has been responsible for many of the WW100 links, has also used a recent visit to established stronger ties with the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in the village of Alloway in Scotland, in preparation for the Scottish Exhibition in January next year.

He says Toitū has also been invited to be part of Burns Scotland which is a grouping of museums, libraries, galleries, archives and experts that look after a range of Burns collections and artefacts.

"It is good to have made those personal and professional connections, and it also gave me the opportunity to do research on some of Toitū's Burns artefacts."

Preparation is already well underway for the Robbie Rocks Dunedin 2014 competition early next year in which local musicians will be asked to pick one of six Burns songs from a list and reinterpret it in a modern idiom.

There are two sections - youth and open - and finalists will get to perform their piece in the Octagon on Saturday 25 January, with the section winners going on to perform at Toitū that night as part of the Burns Night.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court.

“Last week I indicated to the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff that I would offer my resignation should the matter relating to my 2010 Mayoral Electoral return be committed to trial,” Mr Banks said...

“I intend to continue in my role as ACT Leader and MP for Epsom, and ACT will continue to support National on matters of confidence and supply. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: David Cunliffe: Kohanga Reo Trust | Euthanasia | LVRs

At his weekly pre-caucus press conference in Wellington Labour leader David Cunliffe answered questions about allegations of the misuse of credit cards by a subsidiary of the Kohanga Reo Trust, the Reserve Bank's LVRs coming into effect, and a call by a coroner for Parliament to make up its mind on euthanasia. More>>

ALSO:

Census: Auckland Fastest-Growing Region, South Island Districts Grow Most

Auckland’s population grew by over 110,000 people since the 2006 Census, while Selwyn, Queenstown-Lakes, and Waimakariri were the fastest-growing districts in the country, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Criminalising The Partners Of Welfare Fraudsters (And The US Meltdown)

Talking of days that will live in infamy, today is when the measures that criminalise the partners and spouses of those who commit welfare fraud will come into effect. More>>

ALSO:

Compulsory Savings Mooted: Labour Backs Universal KiwiSaver

Yet again National has been shown up as completely left behind on the sustainability of our retirement debate, as the Financial Service Council’s call for a universal KiwiSaver scheme shows, says Labour Finance spokesperson David Parker... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news