Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


District Licensing Committee announced

District Licensing Committee announced

For immediate release: 17 October 2013

Eastern Bay of Plenty councils continue to work together on alcohol regulation and are pleased to announce the appointment of a shared Eastern Bay of Plenty District Licensing Committee (DLC) to take responsibility for local decisions relating to the sale and supply of alcohol. From December 2013, all local-level liquor licence decisions - new and renewal of premises licences, managers’ certificates, special licences and temporary authorities - will be made by the DLC.

The Committee will be chaired by Commissioner Russell Orr, with List Members Jenny Mahoney (Deputy Commissioner), Russell Chase, Anita Moore, Shona Browne, Memory Mio and Michelle Heath sharing the decision-making responsibilities.

The development of the DLC results from the significant changes made to New Zealand’s alcohol laws last year through the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. The three Eastern Bay of Plenty District Councils (Kawerau, Ōpōtiki and Whakatāne) agreed to work together to respond to those changes, including the development and adoption of a Local Alcohol Policy and the establishment of the shared committee.

Expressions of interest in DLC membership were called for in July, with a total of 26 candidates indicating their interest in the positions. The candidates had a wide range of knowledge and experience and many were well-suited to the role.

Whakatāne District Council Chief Executive, Marty Grenfell, says it was pleasing to receive such strong interest in the committee. “The number and quality of candidates who put themselves forward gave us confidence that the DLC would be capable of making robust decisions in the community’s interest,” he says.

The councils established a shortlist of committee members and interviewed candidates during September, with the Councils then jointly approving the recommended appointments.

Barbara Dempsey, Acting Chief Executive, Ōpōtiki District Council was involved in the process. “It was a significant task to evaluate the large number of applicants. Overall, I was genuinely impressed with the calibre, experience and knowledge of the candidates and wish to thank everyone involved for their time and interest,” she says.

Kawerau Chief Executive Russell George welcomed the appointments. “The seven members of the committee will have the task of applying legislation and policy at a local level. They will have a strong governance role and will need to act independently in the best interest of their communities. I look forward to seeing the DLC in action,” he says.

All seven members of the DLC will represent their communities as they share local-level decision-making on the sale and supply of alcohol in the Eastern Bay of Plenty.

The next milestone will be the preparation and approval of a Terms of Reference outlining how the DLC responsibilities will be shared. The Committee will hold its first meeting in December.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news