Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Hamilton Police appalled at child given alcohol

Appalling is how Hamilton Police describe adults giving child alcohol

Hamilton Police who dealt with an incident of a young child being given a large amount of alcohol in a park yesterday say they were appalled at the time and are even more concerned having seen footage of the boy posted on social media today.

City Area Commander, Inspector Greg Nicholls, said Police attended the Fairfield Park Skate-bowl on Clarkin Rd about 6pm after calls from a concerned person to the 111 call centre.

"An officer arrived but the parties concerned had left. The nine-year-old boy was located a short time later at his nearby home where Police spoke to his understandably upset mother.

"The mother, who with her son met with me this afternoon, told the attending officer she thought the boy was across the road playing and she wasn't aware he was elsewhere, being put at risk by persons providing him alcohol."

Mr Nicholls said the only way he could describe the behaviour of the persons who supplied the nine-year-old boy with alcohol was to state it was appalling.

"The boy told me he had consumed eight cans of 7% premix bourbon and cola and two liqueur shots.

"Not only is giving a child alcohol illegal it has the potential to be significantly harmful to his health and the people concerned should be aware that the new alcohol legislation introduced late last year gives the Police a raft of sanctions from issuing a warning through to an infringement notice and taking court action.

Mr Nicholls said what ever action will be taken will be something taken under consideration but as of last night the primary concern for the Police and partner agencies was the care and protection of the young boy.

"To that end Police are working very closely with Child Youth and Family to ensure the boy gets the appropriate care he needs and the family are given whatever support is required.

"In relation to the posting of the young boy's image on You Tube, while Police are grateful the cameraman rang 111 we feel the boys interests would have been better served had he provided the footage to Police or CYFS rather than further victimise the child by publishing the footage."

Mr Nicholls said Police are currently seeking the cooperation of Google to assist us in removing the clip from You Tube.

While the matter is of grave concern to all the agencies involved, Mr Nicholls said there was one small positive that showed Hamilton is a caring and concerned community.

"As soon as the footage was uploaded to You Tube several calls were placed by concerned members of the public to the 111 call centre and a number of other people contacted the local Police Station to make sure we are aware of the situation which we are grateful for."

End

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Open Source // Open Society - Full Coverage

War: What’s To Commemorate?

Gordon Campbell in Werewolf: It is easy to know what we don’t want to commemorate on Anzac Day this year...

In fact, is there anything that can be validly commemorated on this 100th anniversary of Gallipoli?

Beyond, that is, a fleeting sense of empathy with the thousands of soldiers killed or wounded on April 25 1915 and in the months thereafter, until the whole thing was finally called off in December 1915.

(Most of the New Zealand survivors were transferred to the trenches in France, and eventually to the battle of the Somme in 1916.) More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Gordon Campbell: On The Battle Obama Is Waging Over The TPP

For the past two and a half years, this column has been arguing that the fate of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal will hinge on whether US President Barack Obama can win Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) from Congress... Last week, the White House finally, finally unveiled a draft TPA Bill. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Govt Breaks Free Doctors Visit Promise To Kids

Documents obtained by the Green Party show that the Government decided to fund only 90 percent of doctors’ visits for children suffering from an injury in an attempt trim the cost of the so-called “free” visits. More>>

ALSO:

Other Wars: Extension Of NZDF Commitment In Afghanistan

The New Zealand Defence Force’s commitment of mentors and support staff to the Afghan National Army Officer Academy in Afghanistan has been extended out to December 2016, Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

PM's Press Conference: Auckland Property Prices Increasing "Too Rapidly"

John Key accepted that Auckland property prices 'are going up too rapidly” in a press conference held today in Wellington, however he said that this is not anything new. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

ALSO:

GCSB's China Shopping: Key Damages China Relationship

Evidence that the Key Government recklessly approved a GCSB spying operation to intercept Chinese diplomatic communications between offices in Auckland will pointlessly damage our relationship with China, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Reserve Bank And Auckland Housing

The ‘crisis – what crisis?’ response by the government to the Auckland housing price bubble is no longer acceptable. So says Reserve Bank governor Grant Spencer... More>>

ALSO:

Troops Heading To Iraq: Government Must Come Clean On Deployment

New Zealanders deserve more than to hear about their troops’ deployment overseas from Australian media, Opposition Leader Andrew Little says. “News from Australia that Kiwi troops are on their way to Iraq this week is another example of the culture of secrecy and unknown protections around the deployment.” More>>

ALSO:

Image: Strikers And Protestors Join Outside McDonald's

A group of protestors took to McDonald’s Manners St today as a part of the international fast food workers day of action to end zero hour contracts. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news