Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Majority of train services return to normal from Monday

Media release: c/o KiwiRail / Auckland Transport / Transdev

10 January, 2014

Majority of train services return to normal from Monday

KiwiRail contractors have been taking advantage of the holiday period to push forward with essential work to electrify Auckland’s rail network.

The majority of work planned over the holiday period will be completed by Monday, 12 January allowing Western, Southern and Onehunga Line services to resume with a special timetable on Monday. 

As previously planned, work to install masts along parts of the Eastern Line will be continuing for another week. This will mean that the Eastern and Manukau Lines will be closed between Sylvia Park and Britomart until 20 Januarywhen services resume across the network.

“Bus replacement services will be used to accommodate people impacted by limited services between Britomart and Sylvia Park but all other services will be operating,” says Mark Lambert, Group Manager , Public Transport at Auckland Transport.  “Once again, we thank people for their patience during this time.”

The work over the holiday period has predominantly involved preparations for electrification between Newmarket and Britomart, various platform extensions needed for the new trains, work at Ellerslie needed because of motorway widening being undertaken by NZTA, finishing touches on the new Panmure station and general maintenance work on the network.

One of the most significant changes that commuters will notice from Monday are the newly installed overhead conductor rails inside Britomart.

The conductor rail system will be used to power electric trains inside the Station and have been used due to challenges faced around fitting electric wires within a confined space and as a way to minimise visual impact within this historic building.

“It has always been important for us to find a solution that is in keeping with the architectural integrity of the building and I think we have achieved that,” says Nick French, KiwiRail’s Project Director of the Auckland Electrification Project.

The first electric train services are due to begin on the Onehunga Branch Line from late April. 

ENDS

Notes to the editor

Monday 13 January to Sunday 19 January
The Western, Southern and Onehunga Lines will be open with a special timetable.

The Eastern and Manukau Lines will be closed between Sylvia Park and Britomart. All Eastern Line train services will be diverted to/from Britomart via Newmarket. A train service will operate between Manukau and Sylvia Park. Bus replacements will be used between Otahuhu and Britomart via the Eastern Line.

Monday 20 January 2014
Full train services resume on all lines.

Saturday, 25 January to Monday, 27 January (Anniversary Weekend)
Buses replace all trains

From Tuesday, 28 January until further notice
Monday to Friday from 9pm all Eastern/Manukau Line services will be diverted via Newmarket – Bus replacements between Britomart-Otahuhu via Eastern Line.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news