Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Police urge extra caution on roads during holidays

Central District Police urge motorists to exercise extra caution on roads during holiday period

Monday, 13 January 2014 - 9:51am

Central

As people return to work and others prepare to enjoy a break, Central District Police want to remind those travelling through the District to exercise extra caution and remember that the reduced speed tolerance of 4km/h is still in place.

Until 31 January 2014, Police will be strictly enforcing a reduced speed tolerance of 4km/h, combined with a highly visible presence. Anyone doing 4km/h over the sign posted speed limit can expect to receive an infringement.

"Police want everyone to have a safer summer. Our whole reason for the lower speed tolerance is to reduce the risk of crashes on our roads and by that reduce the risk of death and injury on our roads," says Senior Sergeant Kris Burbery, officer in charge of Central District Highway Patrol.

"We want everyone travelling through our area to get to their destination safely. Holiday driving requires extra care and patience due to the heavy volume of traffic on the road and most motorists recognise this."

Three lives have been lost to date on roads this year in the Central District and Police ask that drivers do their part by driving to the conditions, watching their speed, making sure everyone has seatbelts on (including proper use of child restraints) and not drinking before driving.

"During holiday periods fatigue can be a real concern and I urge drivers to leave time in their journey to stop and refresh. There are many great places to stop in the District to enjoy the scenery. Resting your eyes for a while can really rejuvenate your concentration."

"From what we have seen so far in the District the vast majority of motorists have slowed down and this is great news. I want to thank those motorists for their assistance as we strive to make our roads safer," says Senior Sergeant Kris Burbery.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news