Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Port of Tauranga announcement has huge potential

Media release Monday 13 January 2014

Port of Tauranga announcement has huge potential for all of Canterbury

IZONE says the announcement today (13 January) that Port of Tauranga Limited has signed a conditional purchase for 15 hectares of land at the Rolleston-based industrial park has huge potential for all of Canterbury and the rest of the South Island.

Port of Tauranga will use the land for an intermodal freight hub to receive, pack and distribute containerised cargo. Port of Tauranga has a 50% shareholding in PrimePort, Timaru, and the freight hub would give South Island businesses improved access to the South Canterbury port for import or export, utilising IZONE’s excellent road and rail connections, and the purpose-built facilities in the 180 hectare park for manufacturing, warehousing and logistics businesses. IZONE is owned by Selwyn District Council and managed by Hughes Developments Ltd.

“IZONE has easy access to both Lyttelton Port and PrimePort Timaru,” says Director of Hughes Developments Ltd Robin Hughes. “This proposal will give exporters and importers an important additional port option for their businesses. This can only grow business activity for Canterbury as a whole.”

Selwyn District Mayor Kelvin Coe has also welcomed the announcement. “This proposal is likely to make Izone an even more attractive option for businesses looking to set up in Canterbury, expand, or find a site for new premises following the earthquakes. With Canterbury’s economy growing, especially in agriculture-related business, IZONE is well set up to support and service this growth. This proposed purchase has the potential to bring a lot more business and jobs to Canterbury and to the Selwyn District in particular.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news