Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Work to begin restoring Gisborne’s Cenotaph

Media Release

Work to begin restoring Gisborne’s Cenotaph

Work to restore Gisborne’s historic Cenotaph will begin next Monday following months of investigations and consultation with experts.

The restoration, expected to take about ten months, will see the Cenotaph repaired and restored in time for the Anzac Day Centenary commemorations in 2015.

The $725,000 physical works contract has been awarded to Gisborne’s Currie Construction after a tender process and negotiations regarding methodology. Currie Construction have partnered with specialist stone masons AB Conservation who will undertake the masonry work. The total cost of the restoration project is expected to be just under $1 million.

David Wilson Gisborne District Council projects and development manager says work will begin on Monday morning following a blessing on the site at 8am.

“The Cenotaph was damaged and the upper shaft rotated in the December 2007 earthquake just over six years ago. The first job is to remove the lions and steps, which will be restored off site. At the end of the month, pile-testing work will begin utilising the equipment from the War Memorial Theatre project. On-site work will then slow as some components are fabricated off site ready for their installation.”

‘There is a lot involved in this restoration. New piles will be made, the core of the cenotaph prepared, and a new internal steel support structure made. We will then start excavating and installing the new piles, foundations and the steel core. At that stage we can shift the top of the shaft back into position.”

“The final job will be to reinstate the soldier which was removed in mid-2013 and later put on public display at Marina Park. If you have not been down to have a close up look at the detail of the soldier you should do so now while he is still on temporary display.”

The work is funded through a $617,000 grant from the Lottery Grants Board and through the Council’s insurance for damage sustained through the quake.

Working alongside Architects 44 and Currie Construction in the project team are structural engineers Spencer Holmes, conservation engineer Salmond Reed Architects, geotechnical engineer McManus Consulting and NZ Historic Places Trust heritage adviser, Robin Byron.

All are welcome to attend the 8am blessing at the Cenotaph 8am on Monday 20 January.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Detention, Community Work

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news