Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Disaster communications conference coming to Auckland

Disaster communications conference coming to Auckland

An Auckland Council-sponsored disaster communication conference is coming to Auckland in May.

Attendees will hear some of the world’s leading disaster communications professionals discuss their experiences and give advice and tips on how to lead the community through a disaster.

Auckland Council is working with Australian not-for-profit group Emergency Media and Public Affairs (EMPA) to bring the conference to New Zealand for the first time.

Glyn Walters, Auckland Council’s Public Affairs and Media Manager, says EMPA has run successful emergency communications conferences for some years in Australia.

“I am pleased to say we’ve managed to secure a fantastic line-up of international and local speakers in a great location, and it’s priced to be affordable.”

“I encourage anyone with an interest in emergency management and communications to come along.”

He said anyone involved in emergency management, crisis communications or the media would find the conference valuable. Because EMPA is a not-for-profit organisation, the cost of the two-day event was much lower than similar forums, at just $750.

Any proceeds will be channelled into research on communicating more effectively with communities during emergencies – a field where EMPA is already active through its partnerships with several Australian universities.

Keynote speakers include:
Bob Jensen, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, Department of Homeland Security, Washington DC. Bob will update the conference on the aftermath of the latest disaster response campaigns in the US.

Denis McLean, Chief, Communications Branch, UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, Geneva. Denis is returning from deployment in the Philippines.

Mark Crosweller, Director-General, Emergency Management Australia. Mark is renowned for his insights into all aspects of response and recovery.

John Hamilton, Director, Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management. Formerly a senior commander in the Royal NZ Air Force, John has been national controller of emergency response since the 2011 Christchurch earthquakes.

David Morgan, Chief Pilot, Air New Zealand.

The two-day programme also includes:
A ‘fast five’ session with some of New Zealand’s most experienced public information managers sharing their top tips for communicating in emergencies
Communicating in recovery
Interactive panel discussions
Conference dinner.

When: Thursday 22 and Friday 23 May
Where: Heritage Hotel, 35 Hobson Street, Auckland Central

Full details are on-line at: www.emergencymedia.org
Book before 28 February to get the early bird discount.

ENDS.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news