Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Ōpōtiki’s Harbour Redevelopment work continues

Ōpōtiki’s Harbour Redevelopment work continues

For immediate release: 17 January 2014

While it has been a quiet few months on the surface for Ōpōtiki’s Harbour Redevelopment Project, work continues on a number of key workstreams in the development of this large-scale infrastructure project.

Ōpōtiki Harbour Redevelopment Project is a project to build twin groynes and associated works, creating a year-round navigable harbour entrance at Ōpōtiki. The project is an enabling project for Whakatōhea’s aquaculture proposal and other marine activities.

Last year’s decision by Bay of Plenty Regional Council to commit $18million to Ōpōtiki’s Harbour Redevelopment project has sparked a number of new activities.

The relationship with the Regional Council and the agreed rules and conditions for the payment of the $18million will be reflected in a Heads of Agreement. Ōpōtiki District Council Chief Executive, Aileen Lawrie, said that she was working closely with her counterpart in the Regional Council, Mary-Anne Macleod, to develop this important document.

“This document is a high level agreement that will set the tone for a close working relationship. I look forward to working with the Regional Council as we develop this project together,” Ms Lawrie said.

Physical works are also continuing with ongoing measurements and sampling required to fine-tune the design and construction techniques for the building of the twin groynes at the river mouth.

Important work is also underway to develop political support for the project with central government.

“Government departments and agencies, politicians and other key figures need to have a strong understanding of the project and the benefits it would bring for the whole region so that an approach can be made for funding from central government to match the funding from the Regional Council. We are working to build these relationships and ensure that we have the best chance possible to gain the support needed to fund our exciting project.

“While the timeframes for this process can be difficult to measure, it is hoped we will know more when the draft Budget is released in May this year,” Ms Lawrie said.

And the vision for the Harbour Redevelopment is no longer simply inside the minds of those closest to the project. Isthmus Consultants have been commissioned to produce a photo simulation of the Redevelopment. The imagery brings to life the harbour structures and some of the ideas that are driving the project, including a vibrant and active marine area and harbour frontage for the town.

This exciting visual representation of the project will be unveiled at the Council Community Open Days on 30 and 31 January 2014. More information about these open days is coming soon.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news