Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Land & Water Regional Plan decisions notified

January 17, 2014

Environment Canterbury announced today that it will notify council’s decisions on submissions to the Land & Water Regional Plan on 18 January. The plan contains new rules to improve the quality of water throughout Canterbury.

For the first time, controls on the leaching of nitrates will be set, by a plan that covers a wide range of land-use activities with an impact on the quality of water in both urban and rural areas.

Environment Canterbury Commissioner Peter Skelton says that once the plan’s rules are in full effect later this year, the council will require farmers and land users to manage their operations and improve their environmental performance so – over time - the decline in water quality is reversed.

“Declining water quality is a major issue in Canterbury that could take a long time to reverse in some areas,” Professor Skelton said. “These rules are a good start. Some farmers and other land users need to improve their environmental performance. Many are already taking responsibility, which is to be applauded.”

The Land & Water Regional Plan sets the framework to implement community aspirations for water through the Canterbury Water Management Strategy, a community led, collaborative approach to improve water outcomes throughout the region.

As well as addressing water quality and quantity issues, the Land & Water Regional Plan enables earthquake recovery and considers other important issues for Canterbury’s future such as land stability, flood protection and biodiversity.

The new rules also cover water quality in urban areas. “There are new rules which will protect the rivers and streams in our towns and cities from pollution from stormwater and wastewater discharges,” Professor Skelton said.

Council accepted the Hearing Commissioners’ recommendations on the proposed plan late last year. The decisions on the plan will be formally notified on 18 January 2014, with the plan expected to become operative later in 2014, once any appeals on questions of law are resolved.

The plan, as amended by the decisions, becomes legally effective from 18 January, replacing the notified version of the plan.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news