Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Pre-1919 Motors Rally for the Great Southern Ride

Media Release: 23 January

Pre-1919 Motors Rally for the Great Southern Ride

Dunedin (Thursday 23 January) - The quiet roar of veteran car engines across Dunedin's Octagon on Saturday, 25 January will mark the beginning of the 2014 summer.

The rally has been running continuously for 60 years and is the oldest veteran car rally in the Southern Hemisphere. Veteran cars must have been built before 1919 to be eligible for entry in the rally.

Seven motorcycles and sixty three veteran vehicles are registered to start in this year’s Dunedin to Brighton Veteran Car Rally, organised by the Otago Branch of the Vintage Car Club. Many of the vehicles have remained in the same families for generations.

Spokesperson Tony Devereux said the 60th Jubilee of this splendid event has been He said the furthest a vehicle is travelling for the rally is Palmerston North, a 1915 Cadillac owned by former All Black John Callesen. Another of note is a 1904 Fordmobile, the oldest Ford in New Zealand owned by the Colonial Motor Company, coming from Masterton.

The first rally in 1954 had 18 entries, eight of which are returning to Dunedin this weekend - including the vehicle which won the very first rally, a 1914 Humber. One vehicle, a 1900 Wolseley, has attended all of the rallies and is the oldest entry.

The cars will arrive in the Octagon immediately after the New Zealand Shop Timebuster race where Dunedin’s premiere athletes compete against the Municipal Chambers clock’s 10 o’clock chimes. The clock, affectionately named ‘Tick’, has not been beaten in several years so the runners have their work cut out for them on the 243m track.

The vehicles will warm up in the Octagon from 10am on Saturday and will be waved off by Mayor Dave Cull and under commentary by well-known local Dougal Stevenson.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Flyover Over: NZTA Not Appealing Flyover Decision

The NZ Transport Agency has decided not to appeal the High Court’s Basin Bridge decision, and says the High Court’s findings provide valuable clarity to help guide the development of future infrastructure projects throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

Developing Crown Land: Government, Auckland Iwi Reach Agreement

The government has reached agreement with Ngati Whatua and other Auckland iwi over developing 500 hectares of excess land in Auckland for private housing which had been under High Court challenge. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Maurice Williamson

Maurice Williamson seems to have been granted an annual licence to embarrass the National Party, and its that time of year again. Also as per usual, Williamson’s recent exercise in sexism and homophobia has passed by with barely a murmur from his leader. More>>

ALSO:

Green Climate Plan: Shaw Launches 40% Emission Cut Target

Green Party co-leader James Shaw has announced an emissions target initiative for 40% reduction by 2030. He said agriculture has to long been used as a reason for inaction, a roadblock to action... He proposed a tax of 8 cents per kilo of milk. More>>

ALSO:


Images & Video: Four Alternative Flags For Referendum

Flag Consideration Panel chair, Professor John Burrows, said the Panel’s decision had been guided first and foremost by the results of its engagement programme across a range of communities where thousands of Kiwis shared what was special about New Zealand, as well as the Panel’s own selection criteria. More>>

ALSO:

Transport Report: LGNZ Calls For Proactive Approach To Mobilise Regions

LGNZ has today released Mobilising the Regions, its major transport study, which highlights the economic and social impact of strategic transport decisions nationally and in the regions, and the direct link between regional development, national prosperity, social well-being and cohesiveness. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: New Rules Bring Double-Deckers To Our Cities

New rules that allow buses, including double-deckers, to carry more people will ramp up the public transport offering in our cities, Transport Minister Simon Bridges and Associate Transport Minister Craig Foss say. More>>

ALSO:

Cycling:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news