Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Wellingtonians to give Anadarko their Trespass Notice Today!

Wellingtonians to give Anadarko their Trespass Notice Today!

March to Stop Deep Sea Drilling.

Press Release: Oil Free Wellington
For Immediate Release

Wellingtonians will be presenting the Texan oil giant Anadarko with a Trespass Notice today. The notice, which will be signed by those attending Oil Free Wellington’s March to Stop Deep Sea Drilling, will be presented when the march arrives at Anadarko’s offices on Customhouse Quay. The demonstration is beginning with speeches at Midland Park at 12:30pm.  

This happens after Oil Free Wellington members disrupted work on the MV Duke yesterday, and attached a banner reading “Oil Free Seas” to the side of the ship. The Duke, owned by the corporate alliance Gardline CGG, has been contracted to perform seismic surveying of the Pegasus Basin over the next month. This comes after Anadarko began drilling off the coast of Raglan last year, and announced their intent to begin drilling near Christchurch and Otago this February.
The Trespass Notice reads:

“To Anadarko,

You are hereby trespassed from our oceans and required to leave Aotearoa immediately.

You are trespassed because of the following offences:

- Atrocities to the environment and communities worldwide
-Contributing to catastrophic climate change 
-Corruption, buying of laws and suppressing of human rights

From All those committed to protecting our oceans, coastlines and climate.”

Oil Free Wellington Spokesperson Fi Gibson says, “Since the Government has made it clear that they are ignoring public outcry against deep sea drilling, and the expansion of other forms of fossil fuel exploration, we are taking our message directly to Anadarko. We do not want them to profit by putting the oceans, coasts, wildlife, and climate, of Aotearoa at risk.”

“We’re delivering an ultimatum today. We’re asking them to leave. But we’re also making it clear that if they intend to stay, and if they intend to seek profit from their cowboy style drilling, then they should expect resistance every step of the way.”

This message is being delivered as the staunch opposition to the expansion of fossil fuel exploration becomes increasingly obvious. Wellington’s iconic bucket fountain has been used to highlight the threat of an oil spill, Oil Free Otago has formed a ready response team of over two hundred people with the aim of actively resisting drilling, and other groups throughout Aotearoa are demonstrating their un-shaking opposition.

“It’s great to be part of a nation-wide movement consisting of people from all walks of life. It’s great to know that we’re right, that we’re here, and that we’re not going to stop.” – Fi Gibson.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news