Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Commemoration service for the day Hawke’s Bay shook

Commemoration service for the day Hawke’s Bay shook

The event that changed the face of Hawke’s Bay forever will be remembered in Hastings next Monday (3rd February).

The commemoration service for the 83rd anniversary of the Hawke’s Bay earthquake will begin in the Central Mall in Heretaunga Street, Hastings at 10.30am next Monday. The bell in the clock tower will ring out at 10.46am, the time that the quake struck.

The massive earthquake which struck on February 3rd 1931, is the single greatest natural disaster in the region’s recorded history. 93 lives were lost in Hastings, buildings collapsed, fires broke out and roads were destroyed.

Mayor Lawrence Yule says “The 1931 earthquake demolished much of the Hastings town centre. The past 83 years has brought many changes, but we will never forget the day when the bricks and mortar of our city fell. Our citizens united at that time with a determination to rebuild the city and that determination to succeed lives on today.”

Councillor Kevin Watkins says “Out of the loss and devastation which came to the city on that fateful day in 1931 came new growth, a strengthening of community spirit and the rebuild which produced a whole new look to our CBD.”


“It is fitting that we will again gather to remember those who lost their lives and those whose lives were changed forever as a result of the Hawke’s Bay earthquake,” Councillor Watkins says.

Pipers from the Hastings City Pipe Band will walk from each end of the CBD and then lead the dignitaries onto the stage. Councillor Watkins will lead the commemoration service which will include Kaumatua, Jerry Hapuku and Mayor Lawrence Yule.

A special invitation to attend the earthquake commemoration service is extended to survivors and their families. The service will begin at 10.30am on Monday February 3rd in the Central Mall near the clock tower.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news