Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Restricted Fire Season for Whangarei District

A Restricted Fire Season will be in force in the Whangarei District from midnight tonight (Wednesday 29 January 2014) until further notice.

It applies to all land in the Whangarei District. Matakohe/Limestone and Rabbit Islands already have a permanent fire ban.

The restriction means permits are required for all open air fires.

Permits will only be issued where suitable fire protection measures can be provided. Consideration should be given as to whether the fire can be delayed until the fire danger reduces. Permits will not be issued where the fire can be reasonably delayed or the task can be achieved without the use of fire.

The restriction will remain in force until weather conditions and fire danger risk are low enough for it to be lifted.

All fires in the open air require permits with the exception of the following:

Commercially constructed barbeques, incinerators (complying with NZS 5262, 5435 and 5442), cooking fires such as umu, hangi and spit fires, subject to the following conditions:

a) They are supervised by a responsible adult at all times.

b) A pressurised supply of water is at hand.

c) The fire is extinguished as soon as the task is complete.

d) A clear area of at least 10 metres is maintained around the fire.

e) The fire is no larger than 2 x 2 metres.

f) A warranted fire officer can request that any barbecue, incinerator or other fire be extinguished if considered a danger.

All persons responsible for a fire may be held liable for all costs associated with control of that fire. Holding a permit for a fire does not remove this liability.

To obtain a permit apply on line havingafire.org.nz or phone Forest Protection Services (09) 430 7707

Under the restrictions strict rules restricting outdoor fires will be in force.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pacific Spying: Mass Surveillance Of NZers Confirmed By Former GCSB Director - Contradicting PM John Key

Scoop Editor Alastair Thompson Reports: Yesterday morning former GCSB Director Sir Bruce Ferguson confirmed mass surveillance of New Zealnders in the Pacific is taking place as revealed in the latest Snowden leaks investigated by Nicky Hager. In 2013 John Key told press gallery reporters that in the event mass surveillance was found have been conducted by the GCSB, he and the director of the GCSB - his childhood friend Ian Fletcher - would resign. As the controversy deepens a year and half later Fletcher has already resigned. But will Key? More>>

Gordon Campbell: Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful. Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news