Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Sprinkler restrictions lifted in Gisborne city

Sprinkler restrictions lifted in Gisborne city

Plenty of water in the Mangapoike dams and reasonable levels of water use has meant that Gisborne District Council is lifting the current sprinkler restrictions. For the last three weeks sprinkler use has been restricted to Monday, Wednesday and Friday between six and eight pm.

Residents will now be able to use sprinklers at other times, says deputy chief executive Peter Higgs. “We ask people to continue to use sprinklers responsibly; early morning or evenings every couple of days is ideal. And please don’t leave them on overnight.”

“Processing the district’s horticultural produce is still in full swing. Processing industries are some of our biggest water users. A lot of water is being used at the moment but not more than the city’s water reticulation system can handle.”

“Water is a valuable resource and Gisborne people showed that they know how to use water conservatively. It would be good to see some of the habits formed during last month’s water crisis continued.”

A total hose and sprinkler ban was put in place after the main water pipe from the Mangapoike Dam into the Gisborne water treatment plant was knocked out on by a land slide on 6 January.

“Gisborne people responded generously to Council’s request to save water. To keep water flowing into their taps Gisborne people needed to use one third less water than they would normally do in summer. That target was exceeded five days in a row. This made the job of Council contractors so much easier. Thank you. Once the pipe was repaired level two restrictions were put in place, it is these restrictions that have now been lifted.”

Signs that were erected throughout the city advising of the water restrictions have now been removed.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

 
 

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news