Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Numbers Attending Means Move to Bigger Venue


Numbers Attending Means Move to Bigger Venue

An insurance company claimants meeting in Christchurch next Tuesday has had to move to a larger venue because so many people want to attend.

Southern No Response (SNR) co-organiser Peter Glasson says the meeting has been moved to the Jack Mann Auditorium at the College of Education in Ilam after the original venue limit of 250 people at the WestPac Hub was exceeded this week and interest in attending continues to grow.

“We are almost at 300 now after originally planning for 250 and I know of several groups of claimants who haven’t secured a seat yet,” he says.

The group acknowledges that it appears some of the “blockages” for some claimants have been cleared which could be the result of a public promise made by Southern Response’s CEO, Peter Rose, to allow his senior staff more discretion in the decision making around claims. However Glasson sounds a word of warning.

“Some who originally had significant movement with their claims after the protests last year have hit brick walls again, and some who felt major decisions had been made by SR enabling them (the claimant) to move forward, have had those decisions changed completely,” he says.

One of the spokespeople for SNR, Ali Jones, was thrilled late last year to finally have SR declare her home was “uneconomic to repair” and on the 17th December a claims team offered her and her husband (supported at the meeting by a lawyer and insurance advocate), an election to rebuild and they subsequently accepted this election. Jones and her husband have this week received a letter from SR’s lawyers which says SR did not say their house was uneconomic to repair and that it never made that election offer to them.

“The family is shattered,” says Peter. “And they are not the only ones and that is why SNR must keep up the pressure on Southern Response which will pack its bags and be off into the sunset in 10 months time, leaving behind it a wake of human misery.”

Peter says his claim has not progressed at all and he has been told this week of a woman who has been living in the temporary village in Kaiapoi for two and a half years with little or no progress from SR. He adds this has still not been looked into further so he can’t confirm details around that case yet.
“The unreasonable and in most cases inexplicable delay related to claims is still the most common problem and as we have said in the past, Southern Response and Arrow International’s processes are at the centre of this issue,” he says.

The meeting next week includes a number of experienced professionals working in and around the rebuild – see attached agenda and speaker bio’s.
ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news