Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Buried waste gets demolition company in trouble

Buried waste gets demolition company in trouble

A company contracted to demolish earthquake damaged houses in Christchurch have pleaded guilty to two charges of unlawfully discharging contaminates and fined $10,000, as well as being ordered to pay $641 in costs.

Lindsay Builders Ltd was contracted by Arrow International on behalf of Southern Response to demolish residential houses and take the waste material to an approved facility for disposal. On two of the 70 sites they were working at it was confirmed that some of the demolition waste had been buried instead.

“It is hugely important that the disposal of earthquake waste is efficiently managed and monitored,” says Don Chittock, Environment Canterbury’s Acting Director Resource Management. “If it’s not, and it’s irresponsibly dumped or buried there is potential for some serious environmental effects in both the short and longer term.

“We acknowledge and appreciate the considerable resources Lindsay Builders put into investigating its sites and putting in place a comprehensive remediation programme as soon as the issue was identified. However, the shortcuts taken by their staff member are unacceptable and there are consequences for that.”

Judge J E Borthwick noted during sentencing that if it wasn’t for the defendant’s prompt attention, there was a risk of ground water contamination on one of the sites. He also pointed out that in pleading guilty the defendant accepted that it did not take all reasonable steps to prevent the commission of the offence.

“Ultimately it is the company and director who are responsible for the culture and systems that support their business operations,” says Mr Chittock. “They are the ones who need to make sure the rules are being followed by their employees, especially given the quantities of waste generated through the deconstruction and rebuild of greater Christchurch.”

Mr Chittock says he is satisfied with the outcome in this case but adds any burial of waste, regardless of the quantity, is a serious matter. Any other company, big or small, found to breaching the rules will also have action taken against them.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news